co2, phosphate. KH??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
Hi all,
I have a couple questions.
I want to add diy co2 to my 55 gallon, but I'm not sure it would be safe. My ph is about 7.0, but my KH is only at 2 dKH. My tap water ph, however, is 6.1. :/ I'm afraid if I add co2, I would have big pH swings. I definitely don't want my fish to die, but my plants aren't doing the best.

Also, I've been trying to get rid of alot of phosphate. What product would you reccomend other than the hagen greenX and phosX. I've already tried these and they don't work.
Thanks so much!! :thumbs:
~Robin

I think this link may help you.

The bottom paragraph in particular, should be useful.

Good luck!

Why would you want to get rid of phosphate? It is essential for good plant growth. You must have some super high phosphate in your tapwater? You just need a buffer to get your KH up a bit for c02. Crushed coral in the filter or substrate, or add some baking soda when you do water changes.

Try adding bicarb of soda to your water during water changes slowly, and bring your KH up. To at least 3... Is your water naturally like that or do you have something like driftwood or something lin your tank, lowering your PH? Crushed coral in filter/substrate works too! :nod:

And why remove phospate? Algae problem? How you so sure phospate is the problem nutrient?

Well, I've just been beating down a green water attack for the last few weeks. So yes, I think it's a phosphate problem. I don't have a proper freshwater phosphate test, but a lfs guy (he is really reputable) reccommended a saltwater test just to see. It did come up really blue, but it wasn't the shade of blue that the test result card was!
So I'm looking for a freshwater phosphate test. Any reccomendations?
Yes, I'm thinking I'll add bicarb to my water. I already use it for my 29 malawi tank.
No, there's no driftwood in my water... wait, I do have a small amount, but I've never had any tannin problems. Maybe that's what kept my ph down in the past! :eek: Plus my tap water has a low ph, and my TANK water has a high ph. Like it said in the article that iggy posted (thanks iggy!!) it would be expected that my ph would go up because the lack of carbon in the water. (I think that's what it said. Hey, that was at midnight last night!)
So do you think I should remove the little piece of driftwood? Wouldn't that cause the ph to spike because their is no buffer left?

Oh and an sorta off topic question~ Should I use 2 2liter bottles, or one?
Thanks so far guys!! :thumbs:
Robin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back