Co2 injector suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Iā€™m looking on buying a CO2 injector for my planted 150l tropical. Any recommendations please?

Save your money would be my advice. Unless you have red plants super intense lighting and are willing to dose large amounts of fertilizers adding co2 will cause more problems than resolve any. Having said that one can find well priced regulators on line. I got my 2 gallon pressurized tank from prax air. I havent used co2 in a while though its not worth it to me.

I second the no-CO2. Light is the primary requirement for plants, then making sure they have the nutrients (all 17 of them). Low-tech or natural method planted tanks where fish are the priority and the plants are just there for benefits (appearance but water quality too) are easy; high-tech is really an aquatic garden where plants matter and fish are often not even present, and this needs diffused CO2.

Iā€™m looking on buying a CO2 injector for my planted 150l tropical. Any recommendations please?
Do you have lots of fast growing plants, bright light and add fertiliser to the tank?
If no, then don't bother adding carbon dioxide (CO2) because it will just be wasted.

I used a CO2 injection system for awhile and admit it is quite effective for stimulating plant growth. I found it was somewhat of a maintenance hassle (I did not spend huge money on the system) keeping it tuned up and cleaned. I am not trying to push products, but I happen to use "Flourish Excel" and obtain satisfactory results. Quite easy to use with no maintenance or CO2 tank filling.

I would not use Flourish Excel or any of other the other 'liquid CO2' products. Most of them contain glutaraldehyde, a powerful disinfectant. It is known to kill certain plants and it is not very good for fish either.
Just because something is made for aquarium use does not mean that using it is a good thing.

essjay

As a purist I certainly understand and respect your perspective. Excel does contain 2.5% polycycloglutaracetal as the source of bioavailable organic carbon. I admit there is much controversy as well, as to the effectiveness. It is an alternative that is available and MUST be used according to directions for any level of effectiveness. My results have been positive, but I am a sample of one. :dunno:

essjay

As a purist I certainly understand and respect your perspective. Excel does contain 2.5% polycycloglutaracetal as the source of bioavailable organic carbon. I admit there is much controversy as well, as to the effectiveness. It is an alternative that is available and MUST be used according to directions for any level of effectiveness. My results have been positive, but I am a sample of one. :dunno:

The "results" re plant growth is not the issue. The problem is what this toxin does to fish, and bacteria and plants. It is glutaraldehyde and water (Seachem's "trade name" is to protect copyright) and even if used as directed it will kill some forms of algae and some plants. Do you really think such a toxic substance should be added to a fish tank? If it should get overdosed, it has the ability to kill fish, plants and bacteria. It is used in embalming fluid and in hospitals to disinfect surgical instruments becaue it kills bacteria so rapidly. And while that strength may not be likely in aquarium use, it is still not wise to add such a product. When one studies fish physiology and understands that every substance added to the tank water enters the fish through the cells, this becomes comparable to Trump musing about people injecting themselves with bleach. The end does not justify the means.

The "results" re plant growth is not the issue. The problem is what this toxin does to fish, and bacteria and plants. It is glutaraldehyde and water (Seachem's "trade name" is to protect copyright) and even if used as directed it will kill some forms of algae and some plants. Do you really think such a toxic substance should be added to a fish tank? If it should get overdosed, it has the ability to kill fish, plants and bacteria. It is used in embalming fluid and in hospitals to disinfect surgical instruments becaue it kills bacteria so rapidly. And while that strength may not be likely in aquarium use, it is still not wise to add such a product. When one studies fish physiology and understands that every substance added to the tank water enters the fish through the cells, this becomes comparable to Trump musing about people injecting themselves with bleach. The end does not justify the means.

I love this discussion; as with any environment as a purist you should not inject any impurities. Do I take a "Statin" per doctors orders to reduce heart attack risk and face the dilemma of developing dementia ? Read the side effects of any major pharmaceutical dispensed and it becomes pretty frightening :oops: . Ibuprofen, which millions of people take may induce a heart attack for the user. This is what we do to our bodies as humans. Crazy.

I certainly agree with your logic. Its very true and If you overdose Excel BAD things will happen quickly. Using 5mL per 10 Gallons appears too work. But if you clearly do not want to inject risk into a balanced aquarium you would be better off avoiding this solution.

Thanks for the dialog, it is healthy !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back