CO2 in a fish tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

luma

Reaction score
I have been reading that some people add C02 to the tank for the plants, I was wondering what the advantages and diadvantages are? Is this for just planted tanks with or with out fish?

CO2 is used in planted tanks with or with out fish. Basically CO2 makes the plants grow like mad and turns the tank into high tech instead of low tech low maintance. With CO2 you will be pruning the plants at least weekly if not more. CO2 is a good thing when you have plants but not a necessity. If you want to do CO2 there are a couple of ways to do it. There is adding CO2 by a DIY system or you can get CO2 in a bottle. I do the bottled CO2 by Seachem. They have what's known as Flourish Excel which is a liquid CO2. Seachem has a whole line of plant products and are my choice for stuff when I put up planted tanks. Rose

Thanks may just give it a try, my fish tend to eat alot of the plants, can this be dangerous for the fish?

can what be dangerous.....eating the plants or the CO2?

I was wondering what the advantages and diadvantages are?

6 CO2 + 6 H2O + light --> 6 C6H12O6 + 6 O2

Without carbondioxide this doesnt happen (of course plants can use other carbon-combounds).

If you add CO2 into your aquarium, you should check the CO2-level. Too much CO2 kill fish. Good CO2 value: min 5mg/l-15mg/l.

thanks mrV, you have a way of explaining things

Thanks I made the home made version this weekend and I will see what happens.

I just added a Co2 canister that I bought from the local fish store. I also bought a small plant to start. Always had bad luck with plants, so we'll see how this works and then I can add more plants.

I am having an amonia problem hope the plants help give more oxygen for the fish.

How are your making out with the addition of the C02 cannister you made?

The Co2 contraption works like a dream, my plants are staying ahead of my fish who seem intent on destroying them. :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back