Clown questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aloof

Reaction score
My clowns (2 tank raised perc's) don't notice either anemone in my tank. I heard my "LFS help" says that tank raised take time to really remember thier instincts, but they eventually will get it. Is there another way to ... coax them into "understanding"?

Tim

From what i've read so far is not easy at all. You'll need some patience more than anything.

In Reefcentral some one asked and some people have had sucess with showing a picture of a clown/s in an anenome and some also tried sort of scaring them and forcing them to the anenome which then they did go to the anenome. but they say it's not the safest thing to try. But they work so far as I know.

It is hard to get tank raised percs to host what you want. I've seen them host PH, upflow tubes, almost anything. I read about people using a cutout of a larger perc and taping it to the side of the tank. Try searching about it on reefcentral. Interesting stuff.

I had one several yrs. ago that did very well with a large green carpet
anenome,and my current perc. adopted a rock! so if they dont take
to one, there isnt much you can do.

lionfish said:
my lfs told me that tank raised percs usualy on live in one type of anenome.
If this were true, that would mean that every single LFS that carried clowns would also have to carry this particular "special" anemone. Sounds like another misinformed LFS trying to upsell a sebae anemone or something for 3 times the normal price.

:crazy: Clownfish are nuts.
I have 2 Perculas, not tank raised, and a HUGE Sebae Anemone that took them about a month to host after my other clownfish was removed. On the other hand, that Sebae Clownfish I removed hosted it right away, and hosted a very small Pink Bubble Tip, but wouldn't host a Condy. They can drive you nuts, but when they do finally host something, it is one of the most beautiful and rewardingly special things I've ever seen.
Sebae Clownfish inside Sebae Anemone

i don't think it matter if it is tank or wild clown.. the percula is a picky ass fish from my experience, i always had problems acclimating them I guess cause my yellow tang gave them stress.. cause he's the pimp in the tank... but if it is tank raised it probably can eat from ur hand b/c they are stupid.. so catch it in your hand but try not to touch it.. ur are just containing it.. and push it on top of the anemone... it really might help... FORCED LOVE

Thanks, One seens to have taken to it, after they saw me drop an entire silverside (food for the RBTA) into it.

Tim

sexyNjig said:
i don't think it matter if it is tank or wild clown.. the percula is a picky ass fish from my experience, i always had problems acclimating them I guess cause my yellow tang gave them stress.. cause he's the pimp in the tank... but if it is tank raised it probably can eat from ur hand b/c they are stupid.. so catch it in your hand but try not to touch it.. ur are just containing it.. and push it on top of the anemone... it really might help... FORCED LOVE
wow... that sounds sorta mean...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back