Clown loaches poorly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ernie

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have had my loaches for at least 18 months and they are looking sick. None of the other fish in the tank are displaying any of the symptoms that they are. They keep laying under rocks and plants on their side without moving. Plus breathing quickly.
Please help.

Attachments

• 35320015-DE45-4901-A2F7-2543C6EDDB63.jpeg
    35320015-DE45-4901-A2F7-2543C6EDDB63.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 8CB76E2C-1467-4A42-AD15-499A871B3886.jpeg
    8CB76E2C-1467-4A42-AD15-499A871B3886.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2BEC37D2-2811-45BA-84B9-8E048221327B.jpeg
    2BEC37D2-2811-45BA-84B9-8E048221327B.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 29
If this were me, I would do an immediate major water change and raise the temperature of the tank water to 30C/86F or a tad higher. My reasoning is that this is ich or velvet. But I am no expert in disease issues, and members like @Colin_T will know and be able to advise.

In the interim, can youi provide members with more data...tank size, fish species and numbers, water conditions as tested (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and parameters (GH and pH especially).

Hi Byron,
Thanks for your reply.
Tank is 240 litre
I have 4 clown loaches
1 red tail shark
Three snail eaters
1 harlequin
11 rummy tetras
6 ex ray tetras
5 ember tetras
2 black mollies.

I donā€™t have test kit at home. Usually go to my fish shop round the corner for this. So canā€™t give immediate conditions.

Hi all.
I have had my loaches for at least 18 months and they are looking sick. None of the other fish in the tank are displaying any of the symptoms that they are. They keep laying under rocks and plants on their side without moving. Plus breathing quickly.
Please help.
Being scaleless, loaches are more prone to skin complaints and the likes of fungus, velvet and Ich., (or is it that they're more obvious on loaches sooner?)
Extensive water changes are always a good idea and quarantine if possible.
Usually, aquarium salt is advised as a 'Treat-all' treatment, but I'd advise against this in this instance, as loaches can be sensitive to this, (again, on account of them being scaleless). The white specks look a little too large for velvet and seem too distinct for fungus. From the images, I concur with @Byron and might be leaning towards ich, (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, to give it its proper name).

I donā€™t have test kit at home. Usually go to my fish shop round the corner for this. So canā€™t give immediate conditions.
...And please invest in a decent set of test kits, for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH for starters. You could then independently see what, if anything, is wrong with your water and make suitable amends...without having to wait for a shop to open. ;)

Yes, you really should have a basic set of tests, namely ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. The API Master Combo has these four, so that would be less expensive than individual test kits. Th nitrate and pH should be tested periodically, regularly before the weekly water change for a few weeks, then sporadically as spot checks, until you have a good idea of the tank's conditions. The goal is that nitrate will never rise above the lowest it can be in your setup, and the pH remains the same within a decimal point or two. Ammonia and nitrite are good tests to run when you see a problem as here.

Keep an eye on the Red Tail Shark. This species is well know for not tolerating loaches, especially those with vertical stripe patterns (no idea why, it just is), and even if physical contact is not seen, the RTS may still be harassing the clown loaches and that means stress, and stress is the cause of ich. The protozoan has to be present, but it is stress that prevents fish from dealing with it and with loaches it can be deadly. Now that I've seen the other species, I would increase the heat a degree or two higher than 30C/86F, as these species can manage that for two weeks. Ensure good surface disturbance.

The fish are covered in excess mucous and sand or white spot. It looks more like sand but could be white spot, depending on if you have added anything in the last few weeks.

Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

How many Botia sidthimunki do you have and do they have somewhere to hide?

How often do you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

What is the GH, KH and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water company's website or by telephoning them. When you get the results, find out what they are measured in (eg: ppm, dGH or something else).

-----------------------
WHAT TO DO NOW
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 1 week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

You can increase the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for a couple of weeks. If it is white spot, the heat should kill the parasites.
Insulate the back and sides of the tank with polystyrene foam to help the heater warm the water.
Put a coverglass on the tank if you don't have one to help the heater too.

Thanks so much for your help

I have three botia and plenty of nooks to hide in.

I do water changes every two weeks and I have never gravel cleaned the substrate. Didnā€™t know I needed to.

I clean the fine filter every month with a couple of squeezes in the tank water, also clean the propeller.
I added the rummy tetras about three weeks ago.
Iā€™ll find out from the water company about their levels.
Iā€™ll start with the water changes tonight. Iā€™ve increased the temp slowly so far itā€™s at 28 but will add another degree tonight.

Looks like excess mucus to me. These guys look stressed, maybe the redtail shark. Lift the tank temperature by 4 degrees. Give them lots of plants and hiding places. Clown loaches love heat. I would love to know the pH of your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back