Clown Loach very skinny

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ianvaldius

Reaction score
Hi, I have a number of clown loaches in a 55 gallon with a couple other fish. They're juveniles and probably only an inch and a half currently, but will be moved later on. My other clowns seem totally fine, but one of them I haven't been able to find for a few days. He came out today and was super skinny with trouble righting himself. I assume he just hasn't been able to get food before the other fish and dropping pellets and food on him cause the other fish to crowd him to get at the food, which I assume is stressing him more. I have a breeder box- should I put him in there and attempt to feed him that way or would that be worse? Just long enough to get him to eat if I can do that.

Update: I saw him again and now he's on his side with his spine arched, which I suppose was the original issue. I suppose there's nothing that can be done for him at this point, correct?

Last edited:
I wish I could help you on this, but I really have no words of wisdom on this one.

This is a common issue with clown loaches however.

Your update leads me to believe he won't make it.

It probably has an internal problem and is going to die. Move it into a quarantine tank or container of tank water so the other fish can't eat it if it dies. Keep the container dark and have a bit of pvc pipe or something for it to hide in. Alternatively, euthanise it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back