Clown Loach seeming sad now!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snotirl

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I had two clown loaches, but after 3 months of having on of them died and the other one has seemed lonely ever since what shood i do buy a new clown loach to keep him happy :/

Clown loaches are shoaling fish - they need to be kept in groups of minimum 4 to keep them happy. Why did the first one die?

Hi snotirl

I once had a single clown loach in a tank with angels. He used to swim with the angels, until i got him some clown friends.

i have 3 in my tank. the 2 larger ones stick together while the smaller guy thinks hes a danio. But on occasion you see all 3 swimming together. They definately all sleep together in their cave.

he kept gulping for air at the top thats how he died and i should get some more clown loaches right!!

If all your water parameters check out then i would advise 2 or 3 more. Gulping for air i think may mean an ammonia spike. Someone may come by and correct me, but i would test your water before you buy :)

I would DEFINITLEY test your water before you buy any more!! Has the tank cycled properly?

Also, I really don't agree with buying 2 or 3 more loaches, just to bring them home to an overstocked 30 GALLON TANK!! They need AT LEAST a 55 gallon for that many. Maybe you could put them in your large tank?? They would be MUCH happier. Or just take that healthy loach of yours back and trade him in on a smaller loach. That would be my best suggestion for you. Most LFS will give you in-store credit for a healthy fish. He would really be much happier in a larger aquarium. And there are many other loaches that are smaller....you could get a few of them instead!!!

Silver
:*

Yes yes, good point silver. I wasn't aware they were going in a 30 gal.

Most reactions

Back