Clown loach growth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fogonthetay

Reaction score
We have a pair of clown loaches in our tank.its a 25g tank and the loaches are only about 1 1/2" long and have not seemed to have grown much since we got them 6/7 months ago. Are they slow growers or is the conditions wrong for them? the temp of the tank is 25.c(KH3,pH6.4,GH7)
Also they seem to hide together behind the pump in a clump of java moss,is this normal?
they seem to be fine in the tank other than that and play around loads,
thanks

I have a few thoughts on this, first some questions. How much cover do you have for them to hide in? The more cover you give them the better off they will be and the more you will see them. What are you feeding them? For the first 2-3 months I had my little guys I feed them meaty foods every day with some greens tossed in. They grew very quickly, between 5 and 6" now. Clowns need to be in groups of 3 or more to be happy. A pair is ok but they won't be as active or show off as much. A 25g tank is really too small for these guys. You need a 40g for Clown Loaches at the smallest. Bigger is always better with these guys. The more room you can give them the more playfull they become and the more entertaining they are for you to watch. Good luck. Rose

i've 2 young clown loaches in my tank havn't had them as
long as you, they do hide , mine like to hide behind the
filter cradle, if they are playing as you say and are feeding
ok they sound fine not sure about the growth rate,
some one else will be able to answer this, clown loaches
are suseptable to ich so if they are fine then things should be
ok.
slt :thumbs: :music:

Clown Loaches also grow to over a foot in length given the right conditions :eek: :thumbs:

Has anyone ever heard thiers "clicking" at feeding times? mine do and i know other peps with Clowns the click lol :thumbs: ;) 8)

Mine do and they are very loud. i got splashed by my guys last night and it wasn't just a little bit. I put some of their favorite food in the tank and well I forgot to stand back. :laugh: :hehe:

i've heard mine click also my bala sharks click, when i've
put a tasty morsal in the tank i've seen one of my clowns
chase of an angel by geting right up close to it and then
it starts to click, i've read that clowns have a spike
under there eyes which they can move up and down and
that's how they make the clicking noise, :thumbs: :music:

Mine hide all day. All in separate places. They come out at night though, as they are all out in the morning. But I never see them really. Its a bit annoying

mine are out for most of the day , and are always one of the first to show
when i approach the tank to feed them. they always rest together
behind the filter cradle, they've spooked me a few times by lying on there
side playing dead, they seem to like this, :crazy:
:thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back