Clown Hosting Palythoa

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrissaysyes

Nereus
Reaction score
My LFS just got in a large chunk of Palythoa polyps. Theyre a really pretty green color and I'd love to take them BUT...the clown in that tank has taken up residence in them and she doesnt want to seperate them. So she wants $59 for the both of them. I guess I'll pay that but Im wondering how healthy that is for the coral? He really gets down in there and he seems to be irritating them a bit.

Isn't it possible for clowns to irritate a lot of corals to death? I was under the impression that, aside from a few nems, hosting Clowns was detrimental to most corals.

You are, in my opinion, under the correct impression.

If the palys don't seem to be showing prolonged discomfort, it should be OK. What species of clown?

If the palys don't seem to be showing prolonged discomfort, it should be OK. What species of clown?

Agreed. Palythoa are quite resistant polyps, and I've actually seen this behavior in one of my local club members' tanks. His clownfish do this and the coral is alive and thriving...

He's a true perc. I too agree with fish irritating corals which is why I asked...usually you hear this happening more often with bubble, euphyllia, elegance and the like...I've never heard of clowns hosting palys. Though I'm not suprised, I've heard of them hosting plastic anemones. The palys dont look irritated...I really want them, I just dont want the stupid clown :p I mean, I'd like him but no matter what I do with him, he'll die. It's not logical or scientific, it's more mystical. I'm cursed and all clowns that enter this house will die. Never fails.

if they dont seem iritated or dying or anything, i dont see why not.

Yea get the clown with them and see what happens. Its not often you get a clown hosting a palythoa so could be fun to watch...

Got em this morning...the clown is kind of a jerk. He attacked the LFS owners hand when she was bagging him...now that he's here he swims around terrorizing my chromis and he doesnt seem to care about the palys anymore...BUT that paly colony is NICE...and there was a little emerald crab that hitchhiked on the rock :)

Ill do my best to get some up tonight. They have these bright yellow centers that the pics dont really do justice.

He doesnt seem to be interested in the palys now that he's in my tank. I did get some pics while he was acclimating in the same bag as the palys and he was still bedding down in them.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

For one that rock is a lot bigger than it looks in the pic. Also, the rock behind it looks dirty and covered in algae but it's actually just that color...looks a lot better with the flash off on the camera :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back