Cloudy water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nic831

Reaction score
Hi cam anyone tell me whether this cloudy water is caused by the substrate or bacteria bloom. I'm still new to this hobby.
20220112_084741.jpg

Hi cam anyone tell me whether this cloudy water is caused by the substrate or bacteria bloom. I'm still new to this hobby.

It is probably a combination of both. The appearance of the substrate suggests to me that it may be some type of plant/enriched substrate which can be initially cloudy. But a bacterial bloom is common in new tanks because the source water usually contains a lot of dissolved organics on which the waste-eating bacteria feed and they multiply rapidly, roughly every 20 minutes.

It is probably a combination of both. The appearance of the substrate suggests to me that it may be some type of plant/enriched substrate which can be initially cloudy. But a bacterial bloom is common in new tanks because the source water usually contains a lot of dissolved organics on which the waste-eating bacteria feed and they multiply rapidly, roughly every 20 minutes.
For this situation should I do a water change or just leave it be ?

Agree. And when refilling, pour/run the fresh water into a large bowl or similar, so it runs over as this will disturb the substrate less. This will clear much of the substrate-sourced cloudiness. Bacterial blooms are usually not improved with water changes because that is only bring yet more dissolved organics in, but even so, I have sometimes had some improvement. The main thing of course is that this is harmless, whichever source.

It is because of the substrate. I set up a new tank with an aqua-soil, and mine did that for the first 48 hrs. Just leave it alone and it should be pretty dang clear in no time. I think part of it will settle, but the rest gets picked up by the filter.

You can change the water, but that just seems like taking a step backwards to me.

received_443732127433440.jpeg

If you're using fluval substrate that's what it is, I'm cycling my tank right now and having the same issue. It comes back every time you put a new plant in, also. But it's not as bad as it was my first couple of weeks. And my filter does eventually clear it.

Looking counter clockwise
Any moment maybe you maybe even you
And I'd sell my soul for
Total control

Novak - has been given his Marching Orders,

Looking counter clockwise
Any moment maybe you maybe even you
And I'd sell my soul for
Total control

Novak - has been given his Marching Orders,
Lol why does this sound like something a random sentence bot would say

Most reactions