Cloudy water.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is it milky cloudy or green cloudy water?

If it's milky cloudy then it is usually caused by uneaten food rotting in the tank.

Have you started using a new food?
Is there any uneaten food hiding among the plants?

------------
Reduce feeding, clean the tank, make sure the filter is working properly.

It is milky white.

I did start using a new flake food for my betta, but that was 1 week ago.

I will do a very large water change today and do a substrate vacuum.

I do have another question that has nothing to do with this, if you have time... ;)

You did not post a photo this time, but the initial post photo indicates algae and cloudy water which is a sign of high organics and likely insufficient maintenance, as was pointed out then.

A white haze/cloudiness can be a bacterial bloom, a diatom bloom, or an organics bloom. Obviously the tank load/maintenance is key. But organics can also be in the tap water, which is why you see a bacterial bloom in new tanks with no fish present, or sometimes after every water change.

I want to clean out my 5g tank and rescape it. (Take all of the sand out, clean the filter)

Where can I put the lone Zebra Danio that is in there now? Can I just put it in a plastic container for the time being?

You did not post a photo this time, but the initial post photo indicates algae and cloudy water which is a sign of high organics and likely insufficient maintenance, as was pointed out then.

A white haze/cloudiness can be a bacterial bloom, a diatom bloom, or an organics bloom. Obviously the tank load/maintenance is key. But organics can also be in the tap water, which is why you see a bacterial bloom in new tanks with no fish present, or sometimes after every water change.
I will get a photo in a little bit.

Here is what my tank looks like:
FF6B6BC7-06AD-4F61-A5C2-6D48492B6A63.jpeg

That looks more like green water to me, than a bacterial or other bloom.

I did a 80% change and cleaned the filter super good. It is already looking better. I think it may have something to due with my Slavinia? The roots were all milky white and so were some of my Anancharis. I removed all the "white" plants.

@Colin_T, @Byron, the bacteria bloom is back. Why? I have been doing water changes more often than normal. How do I stop this!?
Hey so I think I can offer some insight! I'm currently battling this and it's a friggen nightmare. Actually, leaving the tank to cycle is your best option. Doing water changes may worsen the cloudiness, as the bacteria bloom is also "new tank syndrome" (or too much bacteria in the water). Really the best solution for this issue is to let is cycle for a couple days to a week (meaning do not change the water or clean the filter media for up to a week to let the tank properly cycle). I also added a water clearer in the water (by Imigitarium) and carbon pellets (the pellets were for a separate issue though and are for my drift wood tannins but still they can help with the cloud bloom). I also added a bio rock. So far I think it's working! I know I'm late to the reply but thought I would add my input if you are still having issues.

The tank is actually looking much better. I added some more plants and did some water changes. :)
354D9757-E60F-414E-9160-B0BDE0933A7C.jpeg

(I obviously need to move some plants around, but that’s a different story. :p )

The tank is actually looking much better. I added some more plants and did some water changes. :)
View attachment 112069
(I obviously need to move some plants around, but that’s a different story. :p )
Looks great! Your betta looks like my Sushi girl! Yes, plants also are great. I added some and that helped too. How long did it take for yours to clear up?

Looks great! Your betta looks like my Sushi girl! Yes, plants also are great. I added some and that helped too. How long did it take for yours to clear up?
When I first started doing water changes, it took around 4 days - then it clouded back up. I added some more Anacharis stems and it cleared up almost over night. (Note: Every day I was preforming 40% water changes and substrate vacuum)

Your betta does look pretty! I love my boy. :wub: (his name is Ace)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back