Cloudy water won’t subside

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JayLB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two 20g tanks. Despite water changes and good parameters. It’s like I can’t keep the water from being cloudy. Any help I’d appreciated.

Tank 1: betta, 5 panda guppies, 4 peppered Cory’s.
Ph: 7
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Temp: 81

Last water change was yesterday - 50%

Tank 2: 3 guppies, 5 danio, 3 snails, 3 honey gourami, 4 panda Cory’s
Ph:7
Temp: 79

Attachments

• 0D717ED4-A0CA-443E-8EA3-2D82F59CC9ED.jpeg
    0D717ED4-A0CA-443E-8EA3-2D82F59CC9ED.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 6339D733-EDF1-49EF-A039-E75271EAF424.jpeg
    6339D733-EDF1-49EF-A039-E75271EAF424.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 30
UV keeps mine clear, im just about to put a new one in, mainly because its in-line rather than a seperate unit that needs to take more room up in the tank, I used to just throw these in which kept it clear, but they can get quite expensive, if you choose to go for these, please dont buy the cheaper ones, they dont fully dissolve : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007ISJGGQ/?tag=

Attachments

• 20221124_154046.jpg
    20221124_154046.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221124_154102.jpg
    20221124_154102.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 20
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If it is a bacterial bloom it should resolve itself in a few days. If this has been an ongoing issue, it is likely due to the need to vacuum the gravel and do a partial water change (excess waste and/or over feeding issues). With your parameters looking at 0, chances are it is a bacterial bloom due to doing a water change, squeezing sponges and changing your filter floss, etc…all at once. I would give it a few days and it will likely resolve on its own. In the future doing your water change, then wait a few days and rinse your sponge in tank water, wait a few more days and change some of the filter floss, and so forth.

More info please-
How long have the tanks been running?
What is your maintenance schedule (w/c, filter media, filter casing, substrate...)
What additives do you use if any? How much and how often?

I have two 20g tanks. Despite water changes and good parameters. It’s like I can’t keep the water from being cloudy. Any help I’d appreciated.

Tank 1: betta, 5 panda guppies, 4 peppered Cory’s.
Ph: 7
Temp: 81

Tank 2: 3 guppies, 5 danio, 3 snails, 3 honey gourami, 4 panda Cory’s
Ph:7
Temp: 79

After a full week of this, the water is is still cloudy. Parameters are still amazing, fish are all thriving, but the water WILL NOT Stop the cloudiness. Can anyone else suggest anythin else?

Just to set the background...whitish cloudiness is either a particulate issue, or bacterial, or diatom, or organics. The particulate means there is microscopic particulate matter coming in with the tap water. The way to confirm or eliminate this type is to run a container (I would use a larger one than just a glass, maybe a 2 liter clear container) and if this is cloudy, that's the answer. Moving on to the next three, they all appear identical and can occur from within the aquarium's biological system, or arrive with the tap water. [Don't get mixed up, a diatom bloom is not related to diatoms (brown algae) as such.] Weather can cause bacterial and organic blooms. It would surprise many to realize just how much organic matter can be present in vey clear tap water; once in the aquarium and conditioned, the bacteria species that feed on the dissolved organics multiply very rapidly, each dividing into two in about 20 minutes; the more organic, the more the bacteria reproduce, turning the water hazy or cloudy.

Given your location, my first thought is that this is occurring because of the extreme heavy rains associated with Hurricane Iona a month or so ago. It could be particulate matter, or organics, or diatoms getting washed into the water reservoir. Most water authorities do not have the filtration capability to deal with this. And remember, while the particulate matter is observable (usually anyway), the dissolved organics and diatoms are not, not until they are providing food to the bacteria which we see in the aquarium water.

That explains the likely sources. These issues can be long-lived. Several years ago, Vancouver had torrential rains in the autumn (normal here, but much worse that year)and the tap water was so cloudy with microscopic suspended particulate matter that I could not see the back wall of my 18-inch width aquaria, and it lasted until the day or two before the next water change. I had dissolved organics in one tank (only) that persisted for almost three years; not bad this time, but noticeably not at all clear, compared to the other tanks in the fishroom. I never did track down any actual reason, and I discussed it with my friend Neale Monks over a period of several weeks.

Fortunately, none of these are in themselves harmful to fish. However, testing for ammonia periodically is usually advised; this does not occur from the issue itself, i.e., such blooms do not cause ammonia nor are they caused by ammonia. But the rapid die-off can sometimes apparently raise ammonia. Of course, floating plants will easily handle this, regardless, so I never tested nor worried about ammonia.

Just to set the background...whitish cloudiness is either a particulate issue, or bacterial, or diatom, or organics. The particulate means there is microscopic particulate matter coming in with the tap water. The way to confirm or eliminate this type is to run a container (I would use a larger one than just a glass, maybe a 2 liter clear container) and if this is cloudy, that's the answer. Moving on to the next three, they all appear identical and can occur from within the aquarium's biological system, or arrive with the tap water. [Don't get mixed up, a diatom bloom is not related to diatoms (brown algae) as such.] Weather can cause bacterial and organic blooms. It would surprise many to realize just how much organic matter can be present in vey clear tap water; once in the aquarium and conditioned, the bacteria species that feed on the dissolved organics multiply very rapidly, each dividing into two in about 20 minutes; the more organic, the more the bacteria reproduce, turning the water hazy or cloudy.

Given your location, my first thought is that this is occurring because of the extreme heavy rains associated with Hurricane Iona a month or so ago. It could be particulate matter, or organics, or diatoms getting washed into the water reservoir. Most water authorities do not have the filtration capability to deal with this. And remember, while the particulate matter is observable (usually anyway), the dissolved organics and diatoms are not, not until they are providing food to the bacteria which we see in the aquarium water.

That explains the likely sources. These issues can be long-lived. Several years ago, Vancouver had torrential rains in the autumn (normal here, but much worse that year)and the tap water was so cloudy with microscopic suspended particulate matter that I could not see the back wall of my 18-inch width aquaria, and it lasted until the day or two before the next water change. I had dissolved organics in one tank (only) that persisted for almost three years; not bad this time, but noticeably not at all clear, compared to the other tanks in the fishroom. I never did track down any actual reason, and I discussed it with my friend Neale Monks over a period of several weeks.

Fortunately, none of these are in themselves harmful to fish. However, testing for ammonia periodically is usually advised; this does not occur from the issue itself, i.e., such blooms do not cause ammonia nor are they caused by ammonia. But the rapid die-off can sometimes apparently raise ammonia. Of course, floating plants will easily handle this, regardless, so I never tested nor worried about ammonia.
Only problem is I’m running 2 other tanks. One the exact same size and a 5. Neither are cloudy.

Only problem is I’m running 2 other tanks. One the exact same size and a 5. Neither are cloudy.

Yes, that is another wrinkle.

don't change the water until it goes away...it's that simple
whenever you change the water you're just replenishing minerals in your tank continuing this bacterial bloom til the end of days which you'll never win
algae blooms = water changes/live plants
bacterial blooms = no water changes
a bacterial bloom can last from a few days to a couple weeks

PS: stop overfeeding the fish xD

whenever you change the water you're just replenishing minerals in your tank continuing this bacterial bloom til the end of days which you'll never win

My other planted tanks don’t do this. Fish are fed once a day or every second day. And I had to do a water change due to nitrate levels.

well you can keep changing the water as you just did and see the same issue within a few hours ..
or you can just watch "magic" happen on its own.
what happened after 6h of your 50%water change?
and there you have your answer

Water changes don't affect bacterial blooms; the nitrogen cycle does....if in fact the OP is actually experiencing bacterial bloom in the first place

well you can keep changing the water as you just did and see the same issue within a few hours ..
or you can just watch "magic" happen on its own.
what happened after 6h of your 50%water change?
and there you have your answer
I only changed because nitrate was 40ppm. Wouldn’t have changed otherwise.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back