Cloudy water from using old filter media in new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Ive tried to use my old filter media in my new tank so save the natural bacteria. Iā€™m assuming because the media isnā€™t for this specific filter within a week my water has become very cloudy! Any recommendations are appreciated, thank you.

It's not the old media that's caused the cloudiness, new tanks are very prone to bacterial blooms. These bacteria are not the ones in the filter, they live free floating in the water. They eat organic matter and will die off once they have exhausted their food supply. But as every tank is different, it is impossible to say how long that will take. Water changes don't help as the bloom bacteria multiply so fast we can't keep up with them. It's just a matter of waiting it out.

It's not the old media that's caused the cloudiness, new tanks are very prone to bacterial blooms. These bacteria are not the ones in the filter, they live free floating in the water. They eat organic matter and will die off once they have exhausted their food supply. But as every tank is different, it is impossible to say how long that will take. Water changes don't help as the bloom bacteria multiply so fast we can't keep up with them. It's just a matter of waiting it out.

I think I may consider changing the media and seeing if this works first. I did experience a bacteria bloom in my last tank but it only lasted a day. I will be performing a 20% water change today because they havenā€™t had one this week yet. Many thanks.

Last edited:
I agree with essjay. Sounds like a bacterial bloom in an immature tank. Happens all the time, and as stated, the duration lasts as long as the food supply. Could be a day, could be a week. No way to know. But, its not harmful and it will clear. Its just a waiting game.

I agree with essjay. Sounds like a bacterial bloom in an immature tank. Happens all the time, and as stated, the duration lasts as long as the food supply. Could be a day, could be a week. No way to know. But, its not harmful and it will clear. Its just a waiting game.

I have added the new media and done a 20% water change. If this does not calm down overnight I know itā€™s a bacteria bloom. Many thanks for your help.

Did you remove all the old media, and are there any fish in the tank? If it's yes to both, keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite, and do a water change of either show above zero.

Many thanks for your reply. I can confirm that I have removed all the old media. I am just seeing if this reduces the cloudy water. I will be sure to keep an eye on both ammonia and nitrite. Thank you.

Update - the water is still extremely cloudy! I think you were both right it seems as though there is a bacteria bloom in my fish tank. I hope this calms down soon itā€™s already annoying me! Many thanks for your help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back