Cloudy Water After Feeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BaylorPerez

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So a couple hours ago i had fed my fish some SLow falling pellets ( low phosphate ), and when i came downstairs the water was cloudy, there is some orangeish/red and black algea in the tank but i dont think thats the problem. As this is the first time ive seen it happen, i dont consider it an emergancy, but what could be casuing the problem?

Fish tank
20 gallons
fish in tank
4 tetras
3 neons
2 blackfin tetras
1 albino catfish ( for excess food/cleanup on the bottom of tank )
filter
40 gallon carbon filter
plants in tank
2 potted and 1 unpotted,
added things to water
All natural plant food ( adds iron/phosphate/magnesium to tank in .05 Mgs per 5MLs added, 10Mls added for 20 gallon tank, and Stresscoat+, adds bacteria to get rid of Sludge(dont know what it means), and adds bacteria/elements to tank to help with fish stress )

BaylorPerez said:
So a couple hours ago i had fed my fish some SLow falling pellets ( low phosphate ), and when i came downstairs the water was cloudy, there is some orangeish/red and black algea in the tank but i dont think thats the problem. As this is the first time ive seen it happen, i dont consider it an emergancy, but what could be casuing the problem? Fish tank 20 gallons fish in tank 4 tetras 3 neons 2 blackfin tetras 1 albino catfish ( for excess food/cleanup on the bottom of tank ) filter 40 gallon carbon filter plants in tank 2 potted and 1 unpotted, added things to water All natural plant food ( adds iron/phosphate/magnesium to tank in .05 Mgs per 5MLs added, 10Mls added for 20 gallon tank, and Stresscoat+, adds bacteria to get rid of Sludge(dont know what it means), and adds bacteria/elements to tank to help with fish stress )
It is Stress+zyme( sorry for confusion )

SLow falling pellets ( low phosphate )
Phosphate is not added to food.  Phosphate is a nutural component of all plants, animals, and food.  Without phophorous DNA cannot form.

All natural plant food ( adds iron/phosphate/magnesium to tank in .05 Mgs per 5MLs added, 10Mls added for 20 gallon tank, and Stresscoat+, adds bacteria to get rid of Sludge(don't know what it means), and adds bacteria/elements to tank to help with fish stress )
if you have a good aquarium setup the fish shouldn't be under stress so  adding stresscoat constantly may not be a good idea.  Also it doesn't appear to add bacteria.  Bacteria naturally replicate in your aquarium.  Much of what I see about the product appears to be mainly marketing.  A simple water conditioner should work just as well and probably costs less.  All you need to do when adding water to the tank is to remove chlorine and other toxic materials that me be in it before it gets in the aquarium.  A simple water conditioner will do that.  Stresscoat adds a lot more to the water which may or may not be helpful.

All animals and plant need iron, calcium, magnesium and a couple of dozen other elements.  All food is made from plants or animals.  So adding food to the aquarium does add these to the water.  Over time these element will build up in the aquarium and the excess can cause various issues.  We cycle water out of the aquarium regularly to remove the excess.  If you don't have enough of one or more of the needed elements could also cause problems.  For example low levels of calcium or magnesium is lethal to shrimp and snails.  To much phosphorous is know to encourage algae growth.

The cloudy water maybe a bacterial or algae bloom cause by a mineral imbalance.  Which one is low or high is almost impossible to determine.  So I would recommend cycling the water in the tank more often or cycle more out when you do cycle.  

Dump the supplementary chemicals down the toilet. Fish food does rot over time so it will feed your plants. Cories are not a cleanup crew, they are fish that do need to be fed properly. My first guess is that you fed too much. Skip feeding for a day or two and the cloudy water will be gone. Tailor your feeding amount to the number and size of your fish. If you only have one cory, get more. They are shoaling fish that do not do well alone in a tank although they will often survive that way.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back