Cloudy water after adding plastic plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Trop65

Reaction score
I recently added a larger, 21", plastic plant to my established 65 gallon freshwater tank. I thoughrouly rinsed and soaked it before adding it in.
Now 24 hours later the tank is cloudy. All water parameters are stable.
Any thoughts on how to deal with it?
Thank you!

20230216_095007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cleaned my hob a week ago, (probably too much.) 65 gallon tank was clear all week.
I bought a plastic plant, rinsed it thoughrouly, put it in the tank, a week after cleaning hob. 24 hours later tank is milky cloudy.
Parameters look good to me.
should I do nothing? Thoughts appreciated!

View attachment 311542
If ammonia isnā€™t 0.25 you are perfectly fine, Iā€™m unsure about the cloudy water could you show a picture.

Was the plant made for aquarium use?

The first thing I would do is remove the plant and leave it in a bucket of water overnight to see if it makes that water cloudy.
I would also do a large water change just in case something has leached from the plant, and if you don't already have some in the filter, run some carbon in the tank.

If ammonia isnā€™t 0.25 you are perfectly fine, Iā€™m unsure about the cloudy water could you show a picture.
Sure,
Here is a picture. The plant on the left is the one I added.

Attachments

• 16765647584222800202248257885949.jpg
    16765647584222800202248257885949.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 35
@Essjay advice is well given. Try that test. Another possible is that in poking this plant into the substrate, you disturbed the bacteria that live there, increasing dissolved organics. But follow essjay's suggestion regardless.

Was the plant made for aquarium use?

The first thing I would do is remove the plant and leave it in a bucket of water overnight to see if it makes that water cloudy.
I would also do a large water change just in case something has leached from the plant, and if you don't already have some in the filter, run some carbon in the tank.
I wanted to thank you for the help. I did as you said and by this morning my tank was clear!

Most reactions

Back