Cloudy water after 3 days

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

davidaguado

Reaction score
Hello everybody! Iā€™ve always been a fan of aquariums and fish keeping for a few years and I finally decided to buy a fish tank, I bought a 20 gallon fish tank. It has a tetra internal power filter 10-30 gallons. I set up the fish tank a few days ago and it was all clear until when I woke up this morning to see the fish tank is now all cloudy. Iā€™ve read on the internet this isnā€™t much to be concerned about, but I just want to know if I should do anything to try to help the process or let it be? It currently only has one ornament in the tank, a Gary the snail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 65
Hello everybody! Iā€™ve always been a fan of aquariums and fish keeping for a few years and I finally decided to buy a fish tank, I bought a 20 gallon fish tank. It has a tetra internal power filter 10-30 gallons. I set up the fish tank a few days ago and it was all clear until when I woke up this morning to see the fish tank is now all cloudy. Iā€™ve read on the internet this isnā€™t much to be concerned about, but I just want to know if I should do anything to try to help the process or let it be? It currently only has one ornament in the tank, a Gary the snail.
Oh yes I also used a tetra water care kit in my fish tank, it came with 5 tablets of 3 different things: water conditioner, start enzyme, and to regulate ph enzymes. Now doing further research, I realized I shouldnā€™t have used this. I forgot to mention this in the earlier post.

pretty sure itā€™s just cycling. nothing to serious to worry about. donā€™t do anything like empty water just let it cycle. this usually takes 1-2 weeks... at least it did for me. for the future to not get cloudiness you will need live plants. hope this helps?

Just a bacteria bloom. It means the tank is beginning the cycle. In 3 to 6 weeks the cycle should be comets so long as you keep "feeding" it. Then you will be ready for fish.

pretty sure itā€™s just cycling. nothing to serious to worry about. donā€™t do anything like empty water just let it cycle. this usually takes 1-2 weeks... at least it did for me. for the future to not get cloudiness you will need live plants. hope this helps?
Thank you! So itā€™d be best to wait until the water clears up to get fish? Or should I test my water and make my decision based on that?

Thank you! So itā€™d be best to wait until the water clears up to get fish? Or should I test my water and make my decision based on that?
The water will clear up way before the cycle is done (Or at least in my experience) just keep going with your cycle is fully done, depending on what cycling method you used. Just like Circus said, the bloom is the sign of your cycle starting, and if you are using ammonia should still be a while till its done.

Bacteria Bloom as others has already said. I have this happen everything I set up a new tank, nothing to worry about.

You will want to add fish food every day to produce ammonia. Get a test kit and when ammonia and nitrite test zero and you have some nitrates, your tank is cycled. This can take as little as 2 weeks, or as many as 8. You can also request gravel or filter sponges from your lfs or another fish keeper near you to "instant cycle" your tank. If you add a lot of live plants (60% of tank volume or more) you can add fish sooner.

When you are sure the tank is completely cycled, this can take a few weeks. Then start with a few fish, don't add too many fish all at one time. Your beneficial bacteria have to grow to adjust for the fish you add, that is why you add the fish slowly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back