Cloudy Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KieranBoyne

Moved On
Reaction score
Hello guys, im not sure if this is in the right place so if not, feel free to move it. :)

So, 2 days ago I added api root tabs, dosed liquid carbon and liquid plant fertilisers. And now my tank has gone really cloudy!! On the 1st day it was only starting to go cloudy so at night I did a water change, then the next day the tank had just got worse and I could barely see to the back of the tank. So I did another 25% water change. With every water change it just seems to get worse. And I have researched a bit and one user posted a link, and it basically said water changes are next to useless as I would have to do it every 10-15 minutes if I want to remove the bacteria that are causing this., due to the speed in which they multiply. I gravel vacuumed the substrate earlier but I don't think that made any difference as it is still cloudy.... When the lights are off it looks fine but once I turn them on it looks really bad. Also, my fish don't seem to be affected what so ever and are just swimming along. And the tank looks a milky colour. When I take pics the tank looks clear so.... There's no point in me taking one..

Any ideas as to what I can do to clear it up??? I'm 99.9% sure it is a bacterial bloom, but how do I clear up the water???

I'm not sure of the cause, but I can tell you I've added root tabs for my tank and never saw the cloudiness, so maybe the carbon or the fertilizers? I know that the water can get cloudy as part of the cycling process, but I believe this is an established tank, correct? Sorry I can't be of more help...

Thanks for the reply! I think it could be the fact that i added them all in at one time. From now on i dose liquid ferts on Monday, and carbon every day as it says. Never again will i put root tabs with the 2 lol. And yeah the tank has been setup for over a year now.... So it cant be the cycling process.
At least someone replied :)

if it is a bacteria bloom then you cant clear it up. you just got to keep waiting can take days or weeks :D

Thanks ziko. If i add carbon filter media in would that help clear it up??

erm no, carbon media takes away chemicals within the water like medication it does help clear up solids as its very fine but no wont clear the bacteria best is to just leave it and don't do any water changes as TTA said the bacteria feed from organic materials and a water change will just add those into the tank

Ok!! Thanks ziko!!! I will just leave it then. Thanks fir help! :) i will update if it clears or gets worse.

yea keep us informed can you grab us a picture for me please

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back