Cloudy eye

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ConnivingFerret

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Bought a female betta that's really pretty from bigbox store that had ich, so I got it cheaper. Treated the ich and all the spots went away then a day later one eye became cloudy. I tried aquarium salt treatment and a 3 in one gen cure but nothing. She acts fully energetic and has an appetite. so I don't know if I should just leave it be and see if it goes away or do another round of gencure or salt. Last water change was 2 days ago. As far as water parameters all I got are the 5-1 strips and I've been told those are super inaccurate and havent beenable to get a liquid one yet.

Cloudy eye is almost always a result of poor water conditions. Keeping your tank super clean and watching your water parameters are the best thing you can do. Do daily water changes of 75% daily for the next week and see if the eye starts clearing up. A little aquarium salt will help with stress and work as an antiseptic if the fish scratched his eye. If after a week the eye has not improved, you may need to try something like Furan-2 to fight bacterial infections. Good luck!

what did you use to treat the whitespot (ich)?
if you overdose with medications it can cause cloudy eyes.

The safest way to treat whitespot is to raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, then lower it back down.

The best treatment for cloudy eyes is big (75%) daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate, and having a clean filter.

I used jungle brand ick clear. And it's just one eyes not both, wouldn't water condition affect both equally?

One eye can get damaged and become infected and the other eye is left fine.

The water changes & gravel cleaning help reduce the number of disease organisms in the water, which helps the fish heal faster.

So I just saw her poop and it was white Google says that's internal parasites what is your guys's take and suggestions?

Fish do a stringy white poop for several reasons.

1) internal bacterial infection causes the fish to stop eating, swell up like a balloon, breath heavily at surface or near a filter outlet, do stringy white poop, and die within 24-48 hours of showing these symptoms. This cannot normally be cured because massive internal organ failure has already occurred.

2) internal protozoan infection cause the fish to lose weight rapidly (over a week or two), fish continues to eat and swim around but not as much as normal, does stringy white poop. If not treated the fish dies a week or so after these symptoms appear. Metronidazole normally works well for this.

There is a medication (API General Cure) that contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole.
It's interesting that API and the Californian government have listed Metronidazole as a carcinogen. That's a concern considering it was widely used to treat intestinal infections in people.
Anyway, handle with care, don't inhale the medication, and wash hands with soapy water after treating the fish or working in the tank.

3) intestinal worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish. :)

so i have one more local store that sells fish stuff to check all the others didnt have the meds you suggested (metronidazole) by some scheduling fluke i have tomorrow off so i can check petsmart for them. heres hoping.. as of 10min ago the female betta is still acting normal... been doing daily water changes until i can get the meds.

It is possible it could be cataracts, does it look like its in the eye rather than on? It is possible to get it in just one eye, with a multitude of factors including genetic and dietary.
This link is a Cod example but you get the idea
https://umaine.edu/cooperative-aquaculture/investigation-of-cataracts-in-atlantic-cod/
A picture would help to solve.
If it is that, there is nothing you can do, but fish can live well with it with no apparent suffering.

PetSmart carries more than Petco if you have one.

The best I can describe it is that it's kind of looks like a bubble over the eye. I'm heading to PetSmart right now. I'll see if I can borrow someone I know is camera because my phone camera sucks

So the only thing they have at this PetSmart that has that in it is API general cure will that do?

I probably should mention I had to quarantine one of my mollies last night will this affect her negatively she had a couple spots of what look like ich I wanted to get her out of the 55 gallon tank as quick as possible. and it doesn't sayon the box but does anyone know if it is invertebrae and scaleless fish safe?

K sorry to necro this but update. Had to buy the betta its own small tank cause the other fish in the hospital tank were making it sicker, IE it now has ich...also appears some fin rot (im guessing from the stress caused by the constant meds?) eyes still cloudy however the poops regaining a brown color so the parasites seem to be getting cleared out. i borrowed a camera so i got pics now. for the fin rot i heard salts good? but idk if i should medicate for all at once or knock out one problem at a time....
bfront.PNG
bsa.PNG
bsb.PNG

That looks like full fledge Popeye now. You need to get Seachem Kanaplex and Furan 2 and use both together as instructed on packages. You can also give the Epsom salt baths along with the above treatment. 1 tsp of Epsom salt in a gallon of dechlorinated water 3 times a day. Good luck!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back