Cloudy calcification issue on tank glass

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GeorgeZ

Reaction score
Hello guy! My name is George and I registered in this forum because I've been dealing with this issue for a while now and I hope I can get a solution. My family owns a "perfecto" brand fish tank (100 gallons) from way back in the day that used to originally meant for saltwater life. In the early 90s they bought it second hand and transformed it into a monster fish tank (Tilapia, Knife fish, Gars etc) then after 15 years or so of the fish tank running we moved and just put the fish tank away all together so a few years ago we cleaned it up and set it up with water and without noticing a foggy calcification was already formed all throughout the fish tank, I tried vinegar, salt, bar keepers friend, toothpaste, lemon, single edge blade to try and scrape it off. Nothing has worked, I dont know if I can post a pic but this really is frustrating, I've tried every single solution I could find online and nothing works. My best guess is that the tank is so old that the blemishes have gone into the thick glass it self rather than on the surface. IT's a great tank and I would really love to put it back to it's former glory. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 6392DD43-45FF-4E8F-B417-9B212509AF5A.jpeg
    6392DD43-45FF-4E8F-B417-9B212509AF5A.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 61
How long did you leave vinegar on the glass for?

When using vinegar, you want to lay the tank on its side and put some paper towels on the inside glass. Then pour white vinegar over the paper towels. Put some plastic wrap or something on the open part of the tank to stop the vinegar evaporating too quickly and to stop the fumes stinking out the house. Then leave the vinegar soaked paper towels on the glass for 24 hours. After that trying wiping it off and see if it helps.

Ugh that tank looks fantastic, we gotta find a way to get it cleared up for you.

I know you’ve tried everything, so bear with me while I run through ideas if you’ve already tried them. I cleaned houses at one point and have some tricks up my sleeve.

Have you tried a magic eraser? I know it sounds simple, but they’re actual miracles from heaven. On super tough stuff in tubs/showers, I’d sprinkle a bit of powdered abrasive (like BKF) and go over with the eraser.

If not, try citric acid. It comes powdered, IMO it’s stronger than vinegar. You’ll have to soak the areas in it for a bit as mentioned above or with sponges.

Spot test an area first because with all abrasives and acids, etching can occur.

Good luck, it’s really a nice tank!

Most reactions

trending

Back