Cleaning The Sand With Siphon Hose?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kirkster

Reaction score
Just changed to sand in my new aquarium.  Quick question on cleaning it?  With gravel that i used before the pieces are generally big enough not to get siphoned up the pipe when cleaning with a siphon hose.  However, with sand a lot of it gets sucked up and out into the cleaning bucket.  Anyone devised a way to make it a bit easier?  Only way I have found so far is to let the sand come out and then empty the bucket gently and then pour the sand back in the tank.  A bit of a PITA....

EDIT:  Maybe a tap on the hose to slow the flow rate?

When I had sand I would just keep the hose off the sand by about 2-3 inches and it would pick up waist but not sand. Idk if that will work in your case but it did in mine.

Don't stick the hose into the sand. Instead, swirl above waste with the hose. The waste will stir up and go straight into the siphon but the sand should stay in place. Be mindful of course that it is common to lose some grains while cleaning, but this is not a big deal.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great thread! This is 100% relevant to me as well. First tank dealing w/ sand, and I've been curious about sand-specific tools. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back