Cleaning sand help.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sampagne

Reaction score
So I’ve recently had a new 450l tank with discus, and I’ve decided to have sand,

I have the fx 4 filter and was just wonder what is the best way for me to clean the sand,

I was looking at the fx gravel vaccum but I’ve got sand

any help would be great, as I want to make sure the tank is just really clean at all times.

Thank you

To be honest, I just use the end of the syphon hose and do gentle swirly motions just above the sand and thats enough to lift any detritus but not suck up the sand.
Depends how fine your sand is. The larger grain sand can be cleaned with a gravel cleaner.

Do you have any bottom dwellers such as corys? Or snails?

Last edited:
I agree. Just swirl the syphon (just the tube part) over the surface of the sand. It's almost satisfying, lol.

I concur with above members. I rareloy touch the sand in my tanks, and absolutely never in the tank with the Corydoras. Their filter feeding gets any particles of food, and the bacteria deal with the detritus. Malaysian Livebearing Snails of even pond snails or bladder snails can help in this a lot.

I concur with above members. I rareloy touch the sand in my tanks, and absolutely never in the tank with the Corydoras. Their filter feeding gets any particles of food, and the bacteria deal with the detritus. Malaysian Livebearing Snails of even pond snails or bladder snails can help in this a lot.
Good to know. I have had to vacuum for ich but now that it’s over (please) I’ll leave the sand alone and let the cories and MTS care for it :)

Wait, so @Byron I shouldn't vacuum the sand in my 29g tank? I have a Pleco and he produces a lot of waste. I also have 8 Neon Tetras, 5 Panda Cory cats, and snails/shrimp.

(It does get messy and it looks bad, thats why I'm asking.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, so @Byron I shouldn't vacuum the sand in my 29g tank? I have a Pleco and he produces a lot of waste. I also have 8 Neon Tetras, 5 Panda Cory cats, and snails/shrimp.

(It does get messy and it looks bad, thats why I'm asking.)

The pleco is the problem here, so yes, clean up after him. If you onlyhad the other fish, there should be no need to touch the sand, unless you overfeed. But pleco are messy fish and it is large and obvious too.

I think Discus will also create a lot of waste.
I guess you can just follow the advice given above.
I used bare tank for my Discus as its easier to clean and maintain.

I had once just a regular gravel vacuum and discovered that I clould make it longer and the siphon had slow water flow so I could vacuum the sand normally. I'd just recommend a gravel vacuum like the one I just described. Just for the record I have really fine sand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back