Cleaning Rocks with Hydrogen Peroxide

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ThatDonutMan

Reaction score
Hello Fishforums!
I just recently got some rocks from a small stream near me that I want to place in my aquarium. I didn't want to just toss them in the aquarium because of the fear of parasites. I had heard of using hydrogen peroxide to clean aquarium rocks before and I wanted to know how much to add so I don't end up killing my fish. If you know how much to add please tell me. Thank you for your time!

You could use the Hydrogen Peroxide straight, just make sure you thoroughly rinse the rock after the treatment. Usually I find you can wash and scrub the rocks first, again making sure they are well rinsed then just let them dry.

Hydrogen peroxide will decomposed when exposed to the natural environment and it doesn't have any nasty residues. Assuming you are not using industrial concentrations in which case you should be damn careful with the handling.

Don't bother with peroxide. Just hose off and let them dry, then add them to the tank. Or soak in salt water for a day or two and then rinse and add to tank.

Add enough salt to the container of water so the salt no longer dissolves. Leave the rocks to soak. Rinse and use.

Can you please add pictures of the rock? Some are porous and will soak in river water that is bad to your Tank. A way to test if the rock is OK is to put a few drops of white vinegar and if it sizzles, even a little bit, it is not safe. If there is no sizzling, then you can just wash it and you should be fine.

Later today I'm going to take a nice walk down to a local beach, pick up 3-4 rocks and do some decorating after I rinse them under the tap. It's legal here, and I know what fizzes on the vinegar test and what I can trust not to add minerals to my very soft water.
I moved yesterday and dozens of long used beach rocks didn't move with me.

So long as the rocks weren't collected from a polluted area they'll be fine as they are, just rinse them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back