Cleaning Post-Disease Aquarium/Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Filip

Reaction score
Hello!
I recently had a fungus infestation in my 20-gallon tank, and it sadly killed all my fish because I was having ammonia problems at the same time, and the combination was too deadly for the little guys:(
Anyway, I want to get back at it, and I want to make sure that I get rid of ALL disease that is left on the plants, decor, aquarium, etc.
I have already bathed the plastic plants in bleach and "cooked" them, and I stand by the fact that they are clean. Now for the aquarium, I put bleach, scrubbed, and rinsed it out like 40 times, until I got rid of all the traces of bleach smell. So I'm happy with that too.
Now the filter, and heater...
I suppose the heater will be just regular soak in bleach, rinse out and rinse again, But I want to make sure since it costs quite a bit... but my main problem is with the filter.
It is a Marineland Penguin 150.
Since I had the fungus problem, I want to bleach it too, but I'm not sure what it will do to the filter mechanical components?
What about the bio wheel? I know you aren't supposed to change it but...
Tell me what you think!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello!
I recently had a fungus infestation in my 20-gallon tank, and it sadly killed all my fish because I was having ammonia problems at the same time, and the combination was too deadly for the little guys:(
Anyway, I want to get back at it, and I want to make sure that I get rid of ALL disease that is left on the plants, decor, aquarium, etc.
I have already bathed the plastic plants in bleach and "cooked" them, and I stand by the fact that they are clean. Now for the aquarium, I put bleach, scrubbed, and rinsed it out like 40 times, until I got rid of all the traces of bleach smell. So I'm happy with that too.
Now the filter, and heater...
I suppose the heater will be just regular soak in bleach, rinse out and rinse again, But I want to make sure since it costs quite a bit... but my main problem is with the filter.
It is a Marineland Penguin 150.
Since I had the fungus problem, I want to bleach it too, but I'm not sure what it will do to the filter mechanical components?
What about the bio wheel? I know you aren't supposed to change it but...
Tell me what you think!
Fill a container with a bleach (1 part to ten parts water) and let the filter run with that water. Then empty the container and fill with fresh water. Run the filter in that and do one more time with freshwater and you should be good to go

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fill a container with a bleach (1 part to ten parts water) and let the filter run with that water. Then empty the container and fill with fresh water. Run the filter in that and do one more time with freshwater and you should be good to go
Thank you so much! I'll get to it right away

Don't use bleach on anything with metal components because the bleach will cause metal to rust.

The easiest way to clean a tank and filter after a minor disease outbreak is to wash the tank out with freshwater, set it up and add a heap of salt. Leave it to run for a couple of days and then drain and refill it a couple of times to remove the salt.

If you boil or bake or heat up plastic ornaments and plants, they release toxic chemicals that can poison fish and other animals. If you need to disinfect plastic items, soak them in straight bleach for half an hour and then rinse well. Alternatively, just let them dry out or put them in the sun for a few hours.

Don't use bleach on anything with metal components because the bleach will cause metal to rust.

The easiest way to clean a tank and filter after a minor disease outbreak is to wash the tank out with freshwater, set it up and add a heap of salt. Leave it to run for a couple of days and then drain and refill it a couple of times to remove the salt.

If you boil or bake or heat up plastic ornaments and plants, they release toxic chemicals that can poison fish and other animals. If you need to disinfect plastic items, soak them in straight bleach for half an hour and then rinse well. Alternatively, just let them dry out or put them in the sun for a few hours.
I didnt know that about the metal, thanks for correcting me :)

bleach also breaks down acrylic material like the white filter pads, filter sponges and fish nets.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back