Cleaning out the tank and starting a new one...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
That's right. The whole tank is basically falling apart. Crap and debris is really starting to build up, brown algae is in the gravel, on the plants, and completely overtaking my filter, the guppies and cory all have ich, the cory's barbels is missing, and it's just too much, really. So i'm cleaning out the whole tank with hot water, and starting a completely new one. With a betta. Can't afford a vacumn, medications, algae treatments, ich treatments, a heater, small smooth gravel, or any of that other stuff that is supposed to prevent the stuff that is happening to me right now. I've had a betta before, and he lived in an uncycled bowl. My current betta lives in an uncycled container less than one gallon. My tank is 2 gallons with a filter, so i'm sure that the betta will do fine in there. I have a question about the filter, though. The algae is completely taking over my filter. It's ripping apart the sponges, and growing all over the filter, and also the inside of it. So when I wash the whole tank, can I fill the whole tank with hot water, and run the filter in hot water for a few minutes so that the algae will die? Will it break the filter? My filter is one of those small ones that cling on the side, so everything's connected.

Are you sure it's algae covering the filter? Could be your aerobic bacteria. I would suggest that you try to rinse the filter in dechlorinated water instead of removing all the growth.

hmm if it is algae then you should maybe clean the filter and if your sponge is unrincible (if thats a word) then replace it ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back