Cleaning Gravel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ardvark

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got me a 64 ltr tank with 14 guppies and 8 Assassins. 

I do a 33% water change every week and vac the gravel at the same time.

Water readings are as they should be.

Question.

How often do you think the gravel and tank have a total clean?

I'm talking about putting fish and snails in another tank for a hour or so and empty the main tank of gravel and rinse it clean.

Also do you think it's a necessary thing to do?

Me thinks with good bacteria hiding in the gravel being killed.  

I vote never. Your current maintenance sounds fine.

I wouldn't tear down the tank for a "total" clean unless you were really starting over, say wanted to go from "regular" tank to an African Malawi cichlid tank, or after a devastating disease, or wanted to change your substrate. You would have to largely restart your cycle depending on how "thorough" your cleaning was.

David

Agree.  It takes several months for the biological system to fully establish itself, and this is primarily occurring in the substrate where there are many types of bacteria.  There is no harm (usually) in cleaning into the substrate to remove some of the crud, if this is warranted (the fish load, presence of live plants, etc factor in to this) but you certainly do not want to be pulling it out and rinsing it.  The substrate is of far greater importance than the filter.

Another thing is that fish are easily stressed by being netted out and placed in a different environment, then back again.  This is best avoided.  It is the best option if the entire substrate is being replaced, but otherwise no.

Byron.

This is great news.

Thank you both for your reply

If you have lots of live plants do not overfeed the fish all you need is water changes and a few snails.
I use Malaysian Trumpet Snails to do all that, I keep my MST in check with 2 Assassin Snails.

8 Assassins.
Good give them a treat, about 20 MTS.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is actually a benefit to any aquarium for several reasons. It will not eat your plants at all. This snail also will not "muscle" your shrimp off of food meant for the shrimp. The Malaysian Trumpet Snail feeds on detritus and leftover food that is underneath the substrate. It actually burrows in the substrate and moves around throughout. You will rarely see this snail during the day. Occasionally it will emerge from the substrate. A cool thing is that sometimes you will see the substrate move and you will know that there is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail underneath doing its cleaning duties.
http://www.planetinverts.com/malaysian_trumpet_snail.html

Slightly off topic.

A few weeks ago I had Planaria in the tank so I used a product called NO Planaria it also killed all my MTS, Not long ago I put 10 new ones back in, I think all planted tanks should have snails.

The siphon I use on my aquarium has a hard plastic tube about 3/4" in diameter.  and is about 15" long with a longer 3/8" hose that goes to the drain bucket.  I can just move it across the surface of the substrate to vacuum up surface debris.  However on occasion I push it all they way into the substrate that will remove 80% or more of the muck that builds up in the substrate in that spot.  If you do that in a different spot every water change you will greatly clean out the substrate without causing any serious harm to bacteria.

StevenF said:
The siphon I use on my aquarium has a hard plastic tube about 3/4" in diameter.  and is about 15" long with a longer 3/8" hose that goes to the drain bucket.  I can just move it across the surface of the substrate to vacuum up surface debris.  However on occasion I push it all they way into the substrate that will remove 80% or more of the muck that builds up in the substrate in that spot.  If you do that in a different spot every water change you will greatly clean out the substrate without causing any serious harm to bacteria.
I like it... Like painting the golden gate bridge... Constantly going slowly from one end to the other.

Vacuuming my sand is a pain :( i have a gravel cleaner on my siphon and ive got to lift it out the water before the sand ends up in the bucket...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back