Cleaning BGA from Pothos roots

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Oblio

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have some Pothos that are picking up a bit of BGA (Cyanobacteria) on their roots.

Do I need to remove this, and if so what is the recommended technique?

I have been bleach dipping plants for 20 years. In the very beginning it was a bit of a learning curve. Here is what has worked great for me for 19+ years now.

1. Use bleach with the least possible of additive, If you must, you can get concentrated. But no scents no low splash etc.
2. Mix 1 part bleach with 19 parts water.
3. Mix up a bucket with a large dose of declor.
4. Fine leaved plants are the ones most likely to be harmed by a bleach dip. So test the dip on a small piece of one first.
5. Dip the plant for two minutes. Some less thick leaved plants should only be dipped for 90 seconds.
6. Rinse immediately in tap water which should have way less residual chlorine than the dip.
7. Drop the plant into the bucket with dechlor and let it sit for at least 30 seconds.
8. Put the plant in the tank, even one with fish.

Be aware that the algae may still appear to be there and alive. It is not. Algae eating fish may devour it or it may come off on its own.
Bleach dipping also will kill a lot of the nasties we do not want that might come in on plants. However, it doesn't seem to work on some snail eggs :(

As always, this is just how I do things and does not mean it is either the only nor even the best way.
I have quoted a post from @TwoTankAmin that explains the process in full.

Just take the plant outside and hose it off. Don't bother bleaching it, just garden hose.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back