Cleaning advice?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 190l trigon and Iā€™m wondering the best method of cleaning. Usually with my past tanks the cleaning routine would go like this

Every 2 weeks -

- 20% water change
- remove ornaments and rinse
- siphon gravel with electric gravel cleaner
- use glass magnet to clean glass
- wipe air tubing + clean air stones
- thoroughly clean filter

Is this the best way to clean my tank? Or should it be doing some things differently?

Thanks

I wouldn't take the ornaments out and rinse them as this can kill beneficial bacteria
also try not to clean tank and filter all on the same day as this can remove to much of the beneficial bacteria

How did you use to clean the tank filter in the past?

I wouldn't take the ornaments out and rinse them as this can kill beneficial bacteria
also try not to clean tank and filter all on the same day as this can remove to much of the beneficial bacteria

How did you use to clean the tank filter in the past?
Every 2 weeks (if thatā€™s what your asking)

Depends on water parameters and stocking levels. If you're heavily stocked and don't have live plants for instance, nitrates will be building up quite quickly. Depending on your KH, your pH could be dropping and you'll be heading to old tank syndrome territory.
If you're sensibly stocked, have live plants and your KH is reasonable, then you could be fine with once a month. Theres not one rule for all setups.

Depends on water parameters and stocking levels. If you're heavily stocked and don't have live plants for instance, nitrates will be building up quite quickly. Depending on your KH, your pH could be dropping and you'll be heading to old tank syndrome territory.
If you're sensibly stocked, have live plants and your KH is reasonable, then you could be fine with once a month. Theres not one rule for all setups.
Ahh so you would recommend keeping live plants?

Water changes should be regular which means every week. And substantial, which means 50% to 70% of the tank volume. Provided the parameters (here we are meaning GH, pH and temperature) of the tank water and tap water are reasonably the same, this can do no harm but it will do a world of benefit. Test numbers is not the guide (though high nitrate, etc is a serious issue)--the aim is to have a balanced stable biological system, and the more water changed the better to achieve this. There are substances in the water that cannot be identified with any tests, and these do affect fish and need removal. My article stickied at the head of the "Tropical Discussion" section of the forum goes into the details.

With the water change, I would clean the filter if it is an internal or small external; canisters can go longer. There is no need to take out decor, and I agree with the member who said it can be harmful. Clean the front glass on the inside, even if it "seems" clean; the biofilm on all surfaces covered by water is a home for various bacteria and unfortunately algae. Cleaning the glass every week means you will never "see" the algae because you are nipping it in the bud, so to speak. Other tank walls is up to you. But decor especially wood and rock should be left alone, same with the substrate under them. Anaerobic is part of a healthy substrate. You can clean into the open areas too, I base this on the fish and if there are rooted plants.

Last edited:
Water changes should be regular which means every week. And substantial, which means 50% to 70% of the tank volume. Provided the parameters (here we are meaning GH, pH and temperature) of the tank water and tap water are reasonably the same, this can do no harm but it will do a world of benefit. Test numbers is not the guide (though high nitrate, etc is a serious issue)--the aim is to have a balanced stable biological system, and the more water changed the better to achieve this. There are substances in the water that cannot be identified with any tests, and these do affect fish and need removal. My article stickied at the head of the "Tropical Discussion" section of the forum goes into the details.

With the water change, I would clean the filter if it is an internal or small external; canisters can go longer. There is no need to take out decor, and I agree with the member who said it can be harmful. Clean the front glass on the inside, even if it "seems" clean; the biofilm on all surfaces covered by water is a home for various bacteria and unfortunately algae. Cleaning the glass every week means you will never "see" the algae because you are nipping it in the bnud, so to speak. Other tank walls is up to you. But decor especially wood and rock should be left alone, same with the substrate under them. Anaerobic is part of a healthy substrate. You can clean into the open areas too, I base this on the fish and if there are rooted plants.

Thankyou for your help this has been very helpful, I have a canister filter by the way. Just to ask, prior to a comment by another user, I currently donā€™t have live plants, would you recommend getting some? And if so how many for my tank?

Thankyou for your help this has been very helpful, I have a canister filter by the way. Just to ask, prior to a comment by another user, I currently donā€™t have live plants, would you recommend getting some? And if so how many for my tank?

Definitely. You can go simple with some floating plants. Substrate-rooted plants can be easy or difficult, light is a big issue here. Floaters don't have this problem as they are under the light. And floating plants are not known as "ammonia sinks" for no reason, they will easily handle all the ammonia occurring in a balanced tank.

Definitely. You can go simple with some floating plants. Substrate-rooted plants can be easy or difficult, light is a big issue here. Floaters don't have this problem as they are under the light. And floating plants are not known as "ammonia sinks" for no reason, they will easily handle all the ammonia occurring in a balanced tank.
Aww great Iā€™ll invest in some plants :)
Thanks for your help

Aww great Iā€™ll invest in some plants :)
Thanks for your help

Floaters are not all the same. The tiny "pest" floating plants like duckweed has its uses, but generally not in a display tank where the fish will probably need "more" from the plants--meaning, more shade, more large root masses in which to hunt for food and sometimes fry protection. The three best substantial floaters are Water Sprite, Frogbit, and Water Lettuce. There are some stem plants that can do well floating, like pennywort, wisteria.

In a new (uncycled) tank don't clean the filter at all for the first 6 weeks. You need to leave the beneficial bacteria undisturbed whilst it is establishing.

Hi everyone;
Here I can tell you the best way to clean your fish tank are;
  • First wash your hands to the elbows.
  • Unplug filter and light.
  • Use a gravel vacuum.

First wash your hands to the elbows.
With plain soap and rinse thoroughly.

The light does not need to be unplugged, but the heater does. I find it easier to have the light on so that I can see what I'm doing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back