Cleaning a second hand filter before use

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gruntle

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been gifted a second hand canister filter, which is another tiny step towards my ultimate goal of getting a larger tank for my stand (increase in height, mainly).

I know the gent who is giving me the filter, and I understand him to be a conscientious fish keeper. However, I would not want anything nasty to show up in my tank.

What's the best way to clean the filter and media?

Or is it worth just tossing all the filter material and starting afresh?

I'd clean the filter well and soak in a 50/50 bleach/water solution for awhile, then rinse well. You could follow-up with Prime, but not really necessary if/when rinsed well.
As for the media, I'd start with new media.

i never use anything to clean filters except water,

i would just fill it up with water and let it sit for a few days.....then use a cloth and water to clean as best you can

if foam/sponge filter media is still in good condition there is no reason not to use it, unless you have money to burn.....just let it dry out and stay dry for a few days or a week.....anything that could possibly be harmful would die

I agree with AbbeysDad...never, never use media from anyone else's aquarium. Media is porous, and it is impossible to clean it in the sense of ensuring all pathogens, chemicals, etc are removed. This is how media works to be effective. Wood and rock can be the same...what they absorb or adsorb may never be fully leeched out and may leech out over time, harming fish.

The canister housing can be cleaned with a bleach solution, or vinegar may work, both diluted with water. Then rinse, rinse, rinse...and air dry. Having said that, I would use only very hot water and a sponge. The plastic canister housing is less likely to bee problematic. The hoses though can be tricky...any brown gunk (organics) can host pathogens. Same process though, hot water, with some bleach if you prefer, and several rinsings and air drying.

Heres the best way.

You are in Australia
Take the media out of the trays, dont put the filter back together and stick it in the back yard for a few days, If it can survive the summer sun in Australia its welcome to live in my tank LOL. Then give it all a good wash with some warm water.

I have done that with bits of wood, a whole Australian summer on a hot tin roof nothing survives that

It’s only 35 Celsius today, so I should have picked up the filter and left it out in the sun...

If you want to keep the ceramic media, put it on a baking tray and stick it in the oven for an hour at about180 deg c then let it cool naturally. You can bake a leg of lamb in that temp and time, so some bug wont stand a chance.

I suppose you 'could' bake any ceramic media, but I'd think any detritus will just remain and clog pores. I think I'd replace it with new...but while on the subject, after years of trials with ceramic and pumice stone (Matrix/DeNitrate) medias, I'm convinced that sponge material is not only the best mechanical media, but also the best platform for beneficial biology.
My Aquaclear HOBs are filled with sponges, coarse, then finer bio-sponge. They work great, clean easily, and last nearly forever. Now Poret sponge is the best, but I find other work very well too... just saying :)

Heck the hundred pounds of gravel over my ugf does pretty good.

Cycled my last one with a couple pot scrubbies
20180113_141450.jpg
I wasn't sure how well they would do, wanted all blue ones, only one had been in a filter for awhile the other two had just been in a filter for a couple weeks.

Just added the plants yesterday, had put fish in it right after it got up to temp. Never even got a small spike.

@Toney - Under gravel filters can work great, HOWEVER they require constant gravel vacuuming over time or they can become nitrate factories so not the best substrate for a planted tank. Pot scrubbies are best suited in a wet/dry filter as a DIY replacement for bio-balls.
Unless significant biology is added and/or the tank is heavily planted, any new tank will take weeks (often 6-8 weeks) before it is cycled and stable, so caution is advised.

It's funny.... people brag about never vacuuming a planted tank, not cleaning cans for a year, same with hmf.

But mum under a ugf is like the worst thing ever?

Ever heard of a plenum?

The scrubbies are taking care of 10 tanks for me

It's funny.... people brag about never vacuuming a planted tank, not cleaning cans for a year, same with hmf.

With sand or a very fine gravel substrate in a planted tank, uneaten food and/or detritus can't get down under so no need to vacuum. Additionally, a good cleanup crew like MTS make a huge difference.

But mum under a ugf is like the worst thing ever?
You should get yer mum from out from under there! ;-)

Ever heard of a plenum?
  1. an assembly of all the members of a group or committee.
  2. Physics
    a space completely filled with matter, or the whole of space so regarded.
    • an enclosed chamber where a treated substance collects for distribution, as heated or conditioned air through a ventilation system.
???

The scrubbies are taking care of 10 tanks for me

Good for you. Air driven sponge filters work well in many large fishrooms.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-15_14-44-16.png
    upload_2018-1-15_14-44-16.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 121

Most reactions

trending

Back