cleaning a magnetic algae cleaner...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TAZZ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just bought a magnetic algae cleaner - once u use it, what do u clean it in? and will i ever have to replace the pad thats on the magnet??

thanks

tazz

hi tazz, :thumbs: just rinse it under the hot tap thats what i do,
i've had mine now for over 12months and it's still ok, mine is not attachable
so i could'nt say about changeing the pad,

I brought one of these a little while ago - MagFloat?

....but it scratched the front glass, I can't be sure wether it was the equipment or a stone that may have got caught in it.

....whatever I've now gone back to using a credit/plastic card - for me this seems to do the best job :thumbs:

:)

never had that trouble with mine, its still cleaning the algae of the tank now
its only one of the small ones but it works brill, :)

I got overzealous with my new one and did a little scratchy scratchy on the side of the tank by knocking over my piece of red slate rock :S

my rainbow shark loves it when i clean the glass off, he fixes his self to it,
think he likes the ride lol :lol:

Well i always used my small magnet on axyotles tank, goldfish and small tropical and could not knock them ( not one mag for all tanks of course )

But then i just got my big corner tank and used on on it, 3 scratches in a tank that was only a week old ...... gutted !

Now i got one on a long arm, with a planter on the other end and the sponge is thicker, it cleans like a dream and no more scratches :D

So im not sure about magnets any more now :grr: dont trust them

A REALLY good way to remove alge from the glass is with a new sharp CLEAN stanley knife blade, it works amazingly especially with that crusty green alge, i just hold it in my fingers at a steep angle, it wont scratch the glass at all, just be VERY carful when using it near the seal of the tank. I think u can acctually buy proper alge scrapers what hold the blades :)

I have one of the large Mag floats. I wouldn't be without it. Still have to use a razor blade now and again though.

Yep have to agree......the razor blade is by far the best way for the job especially for those stubborn stains lol :D

I've gone through various magnetic glass cleaners, mostly all have scratched the glass on the tank, (Juwel RIO 180) :angry:

Now I use a black pad (forgot the proper name for it)
it does not scratch the glass, but it means the hands goto
go inside to do the work...

For hard to remove spores i use my finger nails :eek:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back