Clean hoods - foggy glass

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DAnCSF

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has anybody na idea on how to clean glass aquarium hoods. I have two hoods from my 55 gal tank and over the years the glass portion has developed a cloudiness to them. I've scrub them, used CLR, on them, and when wet they are clear, but after they dry there a cloudiness to them that I can seem to get rid of. Not huge deal but would like some ideas, otherwise I'll just buy some scrap acrylic and DIY some hoods.

Attachments

• 20201118_143208_Film1.jpg
    20201118_143208_Film1.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 50
Has anybody na idea on how to clean glass aquarium hoods. I have two hoods from my 55 gal tank and over the years the glass portion has developed a cloudiness to them. I've scrub them, used CLR, on them, and when wet they are clear, but after they dry there a cloudiness to them that I can seem to get rid of. Not huge deal but would like some ideas, otherwise I'll just buy some scrap acrylic and DIY some hoods.

My hood is composed of three sections, with 2 pieces of glass per. Due to a fat-handed accident I broke one of the sections. I replaced it with tempered glass. This was about 3-years ago, and I clean monthly with a plastic scouring pad. The 2 older sections grow more cloudy all the time, while the tempered section is still crystal-clear. This implies that the issue glass is of lesser quality.

I wonder what it is that clouds the glass. I'm beginning to think is the minerals of the water that is left on the hoods and that those minerals eventually etch into the glass.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back