Classification of Coral

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It being an animal aside, does a coral really count as a pet though?

Just to add another view based on, “we keep them and look after them” we keep and look after plants…that doesn’t make them a pet. They also need feeding and watering…

Just to add another view based on, “we keep them and look after them” we keep and look after plants…that doesn’t make them a pet. They also need feeding and watering…
interesting point.
animal kingdom vs plant kingdom

You could rename "fish of the month" to "aquarium animal of the month". Though someone would probably enter a planarian worm or leech ;)

Just make it invertebrate of the month, which would include insects, molluscs (snails & clams), crustaceans (shrimp & crabs), echinoderms (starfish, sea urchins & sea cucumbers), corals & anemones. And if you want to add worms, you could too but they make us werewolves drag our butt along the ground.

They kind of resemble venus fly trap plants.
View attachment 140358 Do they catch food/ prey in those polyps?
Yes, they do! Once food lands in the center of the polyps, they close around it. They then move the food to the mouth (the different colored circle in the center) and then the mouth eats it!

Polyps are normally what we call corals, however anemones are virtually the same as corals except they don't have the skeleton.
Only LPS and SPS have skeletons, with soft tissues growing out of the top of them. Soft corals (zoas, palys, mushrooms, Kenya trees, etc) don’t have a skeleton.

interesting
is that why you have to aclimate them?
No. You acclimate them, so they don’t get shocked by being placed in water that they aren’t used to.

I personally drip acclimate all my coral, just so they can start getting used to my water chemistry in the bag.

I also leave the bag floating for about 45 minutes, so the temperature of the water in the bag is the same as the tank.

—-

LPS and SPS have hard, stony skeletons at their base. This is why they take so long to grow, because they have to constantly build up that skeleton, before they can grow new heads/tissue.

No. You acclimate them, so they don’t get shocked by being placed in water that they aren’t used to.

I personally drip acclimate all my coral, just so they can start getting used to my water chemistry in the bag.

I also leave the bag floating for about 45 minutes, so the temperature of the water in the bag is the same as the tank.
yeah, that's what i mean :)

@Byron @Chad
I have read that Coral is an animal as opposed to plant? So what type of animal would this qualify as? Would it be a type of fish? @PheonixKingZ has questioned whether he could enter coral in our Pet of the Month contest. We don't allow fish in the contest. But would coral qualify as a non-fish pet? Open to discussion.
coral is totally a pet. it’s not a fish. i did a project on them a while back for marine biology. only thing i remember is that they’re in the phylum Cnidaria (with jellyfish).

so jellyfish aren't fish?
no haha. most fish have a backbone which i’m pretty sure means they are the phylum Chordata. jellyfish actually have no bones at all and they are like 95% water. both coral and jellyfish have little stinging things (i forget what called) so i think that’s why they are Cnidarians? @PheonixKingZ can help me out bc i don’t really know coral very well

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back