Clams

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fish and coffee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got clams?
Now that I do (actually just one) I am hearing if they die and you don't notice there is a price to pay. Such as bad smell and maybe bad viruses. Let me have it tell me all the Good, the

Actually I was looking at them too. Great at cleaning the water :thumbs:but yes my research also had warnings about the smell if they die.:no:

If they die in the tank, they produce ammonia and you can get a high ammonia reading that kills everything in the tank. The bigger the clam, the more ammonia it produces if it dies.

----------------
Clams are filter feeders and need to be fed several times a week with a liquid invertebrate food (available from marine shops and most pet shops). If you can't afford the invert food, hard boil an egg, remove the shell and white and discard them. Put the yolk in a handkerchief and squeeze it into a small container of dechlorinated water. Use an eye dropper or turkey baster to add some of the solution to the water directly above the clam. Turn the filter off when you do this and leave the filter off for about 5 minutes so the clam can inhale/ ingest some of the solution.

Boil another egg and make a new solution every couple of days. Keep the solution in the fridge and discard after 2 days.

You can also squeeze algae above the clam. Use a clean fish sponge to wipe the algae off the glass. Turn the filter off and then squeeze the sponge out over the clam. Leave filter off for 5 minutes so the clam can inhale/ ingest the algae.
MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE FILTER BACK ON AFTER.

Last edited:
If they die in the tank, they produce ammonia and you can get a high ammonia reading that kills everything in the tank. The bigger the clam, the more ammonia it produces if it dies.

----------------
Clams are filter feeders and need to be fed several times a week with a liquid invertebrate food (available from marine shops and most pet shops). If you can't afford the invert food, hard boil an egg, remove the shell and white and discard them. Put the yolk in a handkerchief and squeeze it into a small container of dechlorinated water. Use an eye dropper or turkey baster to add some of the solution to the water directly above the clam. Turn the filter off when you do this and leave the filter off for about 5 minutes so the clam can inhale/ ingest some of the solution.

Boil another egg and make a new solution every couple of days. Keep the solution in the fridge and discard after 2 days.

You can also squeeze algae above the clam. Use a clean fish spqonge to wipe the algae off the glass. Turn the filter off and then squeeze the sponge out over the clam. Leave filter off for 5 minutes so the clam can inhale/ ingest the algae.
MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE FILTER BACK ON AFTER.
Wow, so much great advice! Is there a general life span that I can expect? Thank you very much on so much helpful information.

It depends on the species of clam. Giant clams (Tridacna maxima) can live for 100+ years. Smaller species don't live as long.

Are you getting freshwater or saltwater clams?

It depends on the species of clam. Giant clams (Tridacna maxima) can live for 100+ years. Smaller species don't live as long.

Are you getting freshwater or saltwater clams?
Pardon my late response, I'm not real active on line lately, always busy. Anyhow I have freshwater, the concept of different components feeding of of and adding to a good balance is very exciting for me. Plants, inverts and fish in perfect harmony...hahaha. I have to laugh a little because nothing will every be perfect in my opinion. There is ALWAYS something to fix, adjust, compensate, clean and of course keep an eye on. I have a single (small) Asian Clam for 5 days now. I did the egg yolk mix for food and got good results, the first 3 days no movement...lol. I felt stupid thinking it was dead at first till I studied closely and noticed very very tiny opening along the shell lips for about a minute or less at a time. That was a huge relief knowing it was in fact filtering. Thank you for responding and all I'm asking is for a basic ballpark/window for lifespan I understand the many tangible elements involved including the different types. This is an awesome hobby and the hardest part for me is giving it a reasonable amount of time. Time management is a B*~′Ch!!!
Lol

Pardon my late response, I'm not real active on line lately, always busy. Anyhow I have freshwater, the concept of different components feeding of of and adding to a good balance is very exciting for me. Plants, inverts and fish in perfect harmony...hahaha. I have to laugh a little because nothing will every be perfect in my opinion. There is ALWAYS something to fix, adjust, compensate, clean and of course keep an eye on. I have a single (small) Asian Clam for 5 days now. I did the egg yolk mix for food and got good results, the first 3 days no movement...lol. I felt stupid thinking it was dead at first till I studied closely and noticed very very tiny opening along the shell lips for about a minute or less at a time. That was a huge relief knowing it was in fact filtering. Thank you for responding and all I'm asking is for a basic ballpark/window for lifespan I understand the many tangible elements involved including the different types. This is an awesome hobby and the hardest part for me is giving it a reasonable amount of time. Time management is a B*~′Ch!!!
Lol
May I ask where you purchased the clams? It sounds very interesting and I might try it myself.

I need to know the species of clam but you should get at least a couple of years from small species.

The biggest killers of muscles and clams in aquariums is poor water quality. Keep the water clean and they will live.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back