Clamped fins & tail, swim bladder or bouyancy issues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Morpheus2019

Reaction score
1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc) currently doing 100% water changes daily for small holding container floating in a tank for heating purpose. Fresh water with fresh indian almond leaf piece, a small live plant, Prime treated, temperature matched.

2. A full description of the fishes symptoms. A year ago he appeared to have a swim bladder issue, sank like a rock. I had him in a solid container to reduce water pressure on bladder, fed daphnia and fasted. After a few months I released him half full tank and made sure not to overfeed. A year later it happened again and it's been brought to my attention I've been underfeeding because he's emaciated. Slowly been increasing feed amounts & frequency. This time his fins are clamped & his tail is completely stiff. He's been floating in a small dish for 3 weeks now & gaining weight.
3. How often you do water changes and how much. Once a week to fortnight but while he's in hospital container daily 100%
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water. Prime & IAL
5. What tank mates are in the tank. Was 1 cherry shrimp
6. Tank size. 20 litres but half filled due to difficulty swimming after recovering from issue last year.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish? No but I have other fish and stupidly shared equipment.

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Request Help

Tank size: 20L but half full
tank age: 2 years
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH:
gH:
tank temp: 28

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes: once a week to fortnight

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Prime, Stability, IAL

Tank inhabitants: 1 cherry shrimp

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Exposure to chemicals: unknown

Digital photo (include if possible): recent photos since illness discovery and hospital set up.

Also he's 2-3 years old. Got him May 2019

Attachments

• 20210715_181601.jpg
    20210715_181601.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210715_181233.jpg
    20210715_181233.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210708_181524.jpg
    20210708_181524.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210705_072334.jpg
    20210705_072334.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210705_224057.jpg
    20210705_224057.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 60
The fish is really skinny and this can be caused by gill flukes, intestinal worms or starvation.

What are you feeding the fish?
How often are you feeding the fish?
What does its poop look like?

--------------------
I would feed the fish 3-5 times a day with frozen and live foods to try and build up its physical condition. Use raw/ cooked prawn (cooked is best if you have shrimp in the tank), brineshrimp, bloodworms, daphnia and anything else you can get.

Keep the water changes up while feeding more often to compensate for the extra nutrients.

Maybe deworm the fish. See section 3 of the following link for details on deworming fish.

The fish is really skinny and this can be caused by gill flukes, intestinal worms or starvation.

What are you feeding the fish?
How often are you feeding the fish?
What does its poop look like?

--------------------
I would feed the fish 3-5 times a day with frozen and live foods to try and build up its physical condition. Use raw/ cooked prawn (cooked is best if you have shrimp in the tank), brineshrimp, bloodworms, daphnia and anything else you can get.

Keep the water changes up while feeding more often to compensate for the extra nutrients.

Maybe deworm the fish. See section 3 of the following link for details on deworming fish.
I typically feed frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, occasionally pellets (Northfin Betta Bits, Seachem Betta pellets or Bug Bites betta flake. Since he was sick with what I think was swim bladder a year ago, I've been feeding less thinking that it would avoid swim bladder issues again.
He's currently eating brine shrimp, refusing to eat anything else (offered bloodworms, pellets, flake) for the last 2 weeks.
He mostly refuses to eat in the morning. When I get home I feed 3 or 4 times, whatever amount he wants. He's increasing the amount he takes but only wants Artemia Brine Shrimp with Spirulina and garlic by ocean nutrition.
His poops are black balls or thin black curls.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back