Clamped Fin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Talisman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:unsure: Hi guys, after some advice again. Ive been looking in here to try find out what Clamped fin is like, and how you cure it.

I have a platie that has started to look a bit unhappy (weird isnt it, you just know there not right) on closer inspection it doesnt seem to be using one of its fins to swim with very much at all, hardy ever for the last day ive noticed. But it can move it, just seems not to want to, where its mates use both of them all the time.

Is this what u call clamped fin?? and if so what is the treatment???

Thanks

Platys have 3 prominent fins (excluding caudal - tail fin). The dorsal fin (on top), and the 2 anal fins (guess where they are).

A platy with clamped fins will hold it's dorsal fin and anal fins tight to its body. WHen a platy swims normally and stops/slows/finds another fish, they normally flare their fins a bit. If your platy is holding the fins tight to the body and not swimming much - this is clamped fins.

However, beware, because sometimes platys get tired and clamp their fins for no reason for a while. A rough guide is clamped for 10 mins is fine, clamped for more than 10 or 15 mins MAY show something is wrong.

I have also had a molly who had clamped her tail fin. It was very odd to look at, because it looked like here body just kept going.

ok my platie is in a bag now, not moving at all. its not the tail fin, or top fin, its the ones either side of it(near the eyes) the two that move it all the time. one is just dead..

ive stuck it in a bag and added a bactrial cure, i hopin this helps

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back