Clamped Fin Platy Hiding Behind Sponge Filter And HOB filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CT 501

Reaction score
Hi, i an having a female platy clamping her fins and sitting on a sponge filter. What is this?! And sometimes she is underneath the sponge filter. And she is doing this suddenly from yesterday. And she hides behind my hang on back filter too, is this a internal parasite?? She is eating also

Water parameters:
Ammonia-0,
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-0. So the tank is clean because im not getting any ammonia.
general hardness is 250 PPM
pH is 8.2

Diet
Freeze Dried Daphnia
Bug Bite Flakes
Tubifex worms(fed every week)

Tank Information
Size is a 10 gallon
Tank mates are, 1 female platy and 1 male molly. Tank has been running since May 2021

Attachments

• 629E9862-8C18-44C9-866E-3B6373DA7D80.jpeg
    629E9862-8C18-44C9-866E-3B6373DA7D80.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi, i an having a female platy clamping her fins and sitting on a sponge filter. What is this?! And sometimes she is underneath the sponge filter. And she is doing this suddenly from yesterday. And she hides behind my hang on back filter too, is this a internal parasite?? She is eating also

Water parameters:
Ammonia-0,
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-0. So the tank is clean because im not getting any ammonia.
general hardness is 250 PPM
pH is 8.2

Diet
Freeze Dried Daphnia
Bug Bite Flakes
Tubifex worms(fed every week)

Tank Information
Size is a 10 gallon
Tank mates are, 1 female platy and 1 male molly. Tank has been running since May 2021
There is always ammonia coming and going. What test kit are you using? You can't say there is no ammonia. If there are fish in the tank there is ammonia being produced. Do you have plants? If so it may be that the plants suck up the ammonia before the bacteria does and then there is 0 nitrates.
As for the fish, it may have some sort of infection but heat that is I don't know. Just don't go throwing in medications though because that can be harsh on the fish.

I've heard that Tubiflex (dry) are discouraged. Hopefully others will chime in as to why.
Can you get a higher res pic? How are the tankmates?

They may be different species, but a male molly will attempt to mate with a female of any species if there's no female molly in the tank. She could be being harassed by the molly.
She could also be stressed by being in a tank that's too small for platies and mollies.

There is always ammonia coming and going. What test kit are you using? You can't say there is no ammonia. If there are fish in the tank there is ammonia being produced. Do you have plants? If so it may be that the plants suck up the ammonia before the bacteria does and then there is 0 nitrates.
As for the fish, it may have some sort of infection but heat that is I don't know. Just don't go throwing in medications though because that can be harsh on the fish.
I am using the FRESHWATER master test kit. I have no plants, but i have two filters though. And for the platy are you sure its a infection!?

They may be different species, but a male molly will attempt to mate with a female of any species if there's no female molly in the tank. She could be being harassed by the molly.
She could also be stressed by being in a tank that's too small for platies and mollies.
The male molly is not harassing the female platy, they barely interact. and she's been in the tank for 7 months.

I am using the FRESHWATER master test kit. I have no plants, but i have two filters though. And for the platy are you sure its a infection!?
Yes so there is ammonia, which means there would be nitrites and then nitrates. You may just be doing perfect water change amounts to where it stays 0.

I'm not sure it's an infection but it sure has a few of the symptoms of having something.
What that "something" is I don't know.

I've heard that Tubiflex (dry) are discouraged. Hopefully others will chime in as to why.
Can you get a higher res pic? How are the tankmates?
Tankmates are a male molly and another female molly. and no one bullies her from my observations.

Another possible issue could be that it was stressed out and it doesn't have enough hiding spots.

Video of the fish?

If the fish is eating well but hiding the rest of the time, it is stressed out by something.

Can’t get a clear video but I see the fish is skinny from before? And I don’t see white stringy poop from the fish, only green poop or brown poop.
Is there a difference in her weight?
The picture with the red circle is from 24 days ago and the picture with the blue circle is from today. Any difference in weight?

Attachments

• 43C0DAB0-64C9-4E87-A3E7-3107BA0E279A.jpeg
    43C0DAB0-64C9-4E87-A3E7-3107BA0E279A.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 408A03BF-5B1D-4FEE-8B28-6C45E6AA1FA2.jpeg
    408A03BF-5B1D-4FEE-8B28-6C45E6AA1FA2.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 28
The fish looks similar in both pictures.

It's got a bit of a deformed head and upper back but that's nothing to worry about as long as you don't breed it.

Looks more like she's more stressed than something else. And yes, she's a bit deformed. But like Colin has already stated, don't breed her.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back