Circulation In A 26 Gallon Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jhf3488

Reaction score
I read that there should be a lot of circulation for the coral so I purchased a 750gpm Aqueon pump which was rated for tanks that are 30 gallons because it was close but the clown fish seems to be struggling with the flow. Any suggestions? Should I just leave it and let it get accustom to the flow or make adjustments.

The live rock has also become covered with a brownish coating. Would this be caused by the lack of circulation for the month that the tank was running without the circulation pump?

Thank you very much.

Here are the tank specs:

General:
26 gallons
30lbs live rock
30lbs live sand

Livestock:
1 Flame Angel
1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
2 Hermet crabs

Coral:
2 polyp coral
more to be added soon.

I read that there should be a lot of circulation for the coral so I purchased a 750gpm Aqueon pump which was rated for tanks that are 30 gallons because it was close but the clown fish seems to be struggling with the flow. Any suggestions? Should I just leave it and let it get accustom to the flow or make adjustments.

The live rock has also become covered with a brownish coating. Would this be caused by the lack of circulation for the month that the tank was running without the circulation pump?

Thank you very much.

Here are the tank specs:

General:
26 gallons
30lbs live rock
30lbs live sand

Livestock:
1 Flame Angel
1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
2 Hermet crabs

Coral:
2 polyp coral
more to be added soon.

So this tank was running without a power head for a month? Aqueon really packs a whallop with regard to flow. Good, cheap powerhead. I think you'll be ok. If the fish are really struggling, you can aim the powerhead, so it deflects off some rocks or something like that. What you really needed were two smaller powerheads, directed in different spots of the tank. This is where Aqueon really must catch up to Koralia with. Aqueon really has the power & affordability that Koralia lacks, but Koralia has affordability and a great assortment of sizes so you can customize flow. If Aqueon tapped into that, I think Aqueon will replace Koralias as my powerhead of choice.

What's your lighting?

L

I agree will lljdma, if possible could you return the one powerhead and buy 2 smaller ones (or use the big one to aerate water when mixing it)? Turbulence is definitely needed at the surface, but in order to eliminate dead spots you need to force the water to go everywhere in the tank---having it only going in 1 direction won't do that. Your fish are probably really struggling because your powerhead is just way too strong. Also, if you directed it more toward the rock then you won't be getting the turbulence at the top of the tank which obviously you need.

There also is a very good way to place the powerheads to ensure water circulation everywhere. Instead of having them push water at each other, have one shooting straight across and the other one shooting at the opposite, corner end. Works great.

So, how much GPH do I need in a 26 gal tank using two powerheads for powering undergravel filter

joselito.rd said:
So, how much GPH do I need in a 26 gal tank using two powerheads for powering undergravel filter

What type of tank is this for?

I recently broke down the 26g bowfront tank we were running, and we used 1 of those pumps and directed it straight into the rock pile, seemed to deflect a lot of the turbulence.

I have a question in the same line so I hope it's ok to post my question here. I have a 24G cube tank. From Aquatop the return line is shooting from the rear of the tank to the right. So thinking that I needed more flow, Purchased a hydro koralia circulation and wave pump at a flow at 425 gph and put it on the middle left directed down towards the live rock and going to the back right corner.
One picture is the overall picture and the other is a little more zoomed in.
At the moment since saltwater is new to me the plan to go FOWLER setup no live corals at this time until that I feel more ready for that task

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 342

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back