Cichlids with Bottom Feeders

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishyboi3033

Reaction score
Hello!
Currently I'm trying to build a cichlid tank. Right now I have a convict, a kenyi, and two bolivian rams together, but I will be moving the rams into a different tank tomorrow because the Kenyi has been bullying them. But that's not what I wanted to discuss. I plan on adding a few more cichlids, not sure on what ones specifically, but they'll be in the 5-8in range when they'll be fully grown as I dont want ones that get bigger than that. And I wanted to add some sort of a bottom feeder, specifically a peacock eel. But I'm not 100% sure on how well cichlids and peacock eels coexist. Also I have a gravel substrate currently, but I will switch to sand if I get the eel. But if the eel is not comparable, what types of bottom feeders would you recommend? Or would you not reccomend any at all?
Thank you!

The convict is South America and comes from soft water with a neutral to acid pH. The kenyi is Lake Malawi and comes from hard alkaline water. The kenyi are real agro.

You should find out the general hardness (GH) of your water and get fish that do best in that water. If the GH is below 250ppm then go South American cichlids. If the GH is above 300ppm then go African Rift lake cichlids.

The convict is South America and comes from soft water with a neutral to acid pH. The kenyi is Lake Malawi and comes from hard alkaline water. The kenyi are real agro.

You should find out the general hardness (GH) of your water and get fish that do best in that water. If the GH is below 250ppm then go South American cichlids. If the GH is above 300ppm then go African Rift lake cichlids.
Okay, I can will, and I will separate the NWC and AC accordingly

Your have fish from 3 different places right now. The Rams are from South america and like softer water, the kenyi is from lake Malawi in africa and the convict from Central America, both areas have harder water.

Depending on tank size, I would pick which cichlid group you want to go with and find a bottom dweller from that area. South America and Africa would be easy, Central america would be harder from an availability stand point.

Most reactions

trending

Back