Cichlids To Put In A 25 Gallon Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ColeC

Reaction score
Hello
I have a 25 Gallon that has been sitting for about 2 years. Now I want to set it back up I would like to do Cichlids in the tank. It would be helpful if I could get a list of fish to use for the tank. The only fish I would really like to have is Apistogrammas I would like to know what fish I could put with them. I would also need to know what kind of equipment to use for it as well. The tanks has fluorescent tubes, what kind of fluorescent tube would i need to get? I also plan to have the tank planted as well. I would like more than just low light plants. 

Thanks to anyone who responds!

what are the dimensions of the tank?  You should get a full spectrum daylight bulb.  Do you know what type of apisto you want?  You shouldn't mix species.  

I'll just expand upon the good points already mentioned by Vethian.  This tank will only hold one species of Apistogramma, and some will be better as a harem (one male, and two or three females) while others may be best with a mated pair.  The "mated" or bonded pair is important with cichlids, as they do not always accept any mate we give them.

What type of fluorescent light fixture do you have, and how many tubes does it take?  There is the basic T8, then there is T5.  I can comment more when I know these answers.

As for tankmates for the apistos, there are several options.  Knowing your water parameters (tap water GH, KH and pH) is important, as some of these (and some Apistogramma species) will have rather specific preferences.  But generally speaking, you want to be looking at relatively small fish, and upper level fish.  Some tetra (but certainly not all species) will work, some of the pencilfish, and some hatchetfish.  I can be more specific when I know the water parameters.  If you want the cichlids to spawn and more importantly you want to raise the fry, avoid any bottom fish like catfish (corys, etc) as these being nocturnal will almost always eat the eggs or the fry during darkness when the cichlid parents are not able to adequately protect them.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back