Cichlids Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

altselgreen

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

I am hoping to own a new world cichlid tank. I have a couple of ideas but i would like to know what cichlids you have and the volume of your tanks.

All your replies are welcome

Sam

Hi

I am hoping to own a new world cichlid tank. I have a couple of ideas but i would like to know what cichlids you have and the volume of your tanks.

All your replies are welcome

Sam
I have a breeding pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides "triple red" in a 40g planted community. It's way more room than they need, but they're very happy.

It depends what type of tank you want. Do you want a bunch of little cichlids, or one big cichlid in the tank? How big are you planning to make the tank? I personally like the more aggressive cichlids that are usually kept on their own.

One pair of Nicaraguensis in a 75 gallon along with various tough but peaceful non-cichlid tankmates. As with MH it's more room then they may 'need', but I like to give them a nice amount of territory to enjoy, and they certainly use it all.

It depends what type of tank you want. Do you want a bunch of little cichlids, or one big cichlid in the tank? How big are you planning to make the tank? I personally like the more aggressive cichlids that are usually kept on their own.

Hi Space monkey

Im thinking about getting a couple of medium sized cichlids say around 10cm. Would a 42 gallon (50 us gallons) be too small? Mabye a couple of Rainbow cichlids or discus or even some angels?
I do like lemon oscars though just seen a couple they look amazing! But then he would have to be on his own. Im gonna need some help!

All suggestions welcome

Sam

If you go with something smaller you can go with a pair and see them at their best, and you can build a nice little envioronment for them and possibly add some well chosen tankmates to liven things up. In the end it leads to a nicer overall tank then just having a single big fish floating around an empty tank. A pair of rainbow cichlids would work very nicely.

You could do convict cichlids or rainbow cichlids. Firemouth cichlids would also be pretty nice in there, maybe a severum too. There may be some cichlids in the Geophagus genus that could go in it.

Rainbow cichlids are cool.. you could keep a pair in a 33g... I have a pair in a square 40g tank that spawns every so often. Or you could get a 55g tank and get a few different kinds of smaller cichlids like rainbows, convicts, festivum, parrot cichlid, severum.

Hi everyone

I think im gonna get a few different kinds of cichlids. Im thinking about Rainbows, Convicts, Festivum, Parrot and Severum (Not sure wether Green/Gold/Striped(Blue)

Anyway thanks for all your help. Now all I need is the tank! :D

Sam

If you get a 55g you could keep a parrot, a severum and maybe a rainbow cichlid or convict..

Anything smaller then a 55g will limit you to rainbows, festivum, or convicts..

Severums and parrots need a tank of 55g or more.

If you post what size tank you get and what you've decided on I'm sure someone here will have some advice on whether it's a good idea or not. :good:

Hi

Would a 42 gallon (50 us gallons) be too small? (Corner tank) May need to go a little bigger for Severums and parrots. I could go to 52 gallons (63.4 US Gallons). Would that be ok for Severums and parrots? I hope so because i gotta find a way to raise this money £££

All replies are welcome

Sam

Oh if its a corner tank, you couldnt put many cichlids in there. Theres not alot of surface area which the cichlids can clame territories on. If i were you i would do a couple firemouth cichlids with maybe some rainbow cichlids. It really depends on the fishs' personality, some will want to fight constantly while others will be more timid.

Hi,
I love severums and firemouths. You could have a 50(us)gallon with a severum (my favorite is the gold severum), two firemouths, and like three silver dollars or 1 or 2 convicts.

Hi

I've decided what im gonna put in my tank. They are as follows:

1. Gold Severum x1

2. Firemouth x2

3. Black Convicts x2

Does this sound ok? Will they all live together? Is my tank the right size? (42 gallon 50 us gallons Corner tank)

Thanks for your help

Sam :D

Leave out the convicts or just get one - if they breed there will be carnage.
Nicaraguense would be a better choice IMO.
The severum will get too big.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back