Cichlids And Tiger Barbs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mako Man111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
In another post of mine, I was looking for a schooling fish to put in my 105 gallon tank with my cichlids, and some one mentioned tiger barbs. I know they can get to nice sizes and have seen them that big at the lfs. They are also pretty tough and fast. But I still don't think they could be a full time living partner with an oscar, convict, firemouth, and bichir. Maby now while they are still young but what about when they get older? They probably will gobble them up right?

Tiger Barbs are a pain in the arse tbh, they will nip the fins of anything they can catch. I would only ever keep them in a species tank (which looks amazing btw)

I wouldn't put tiger bards in with anything other than tiger bards, as already said, they are two gills of annoyance for anything else in the tank. The oscar will definitely make a meal out of them when it gets bigger though! Schooling fish school for a reason, to confuse and frustrate bigger fish trying to eat them, so if thats waht you've got, your only buying them expensive fish food.

I haven't had any problems at all with the setup I have now. I think the Tigers are too scared to mess with any of the bigger Cichlids. And the loaches chase the barbs around. And of course the BN plecs hardly ever show their faces. I'm sure the Sev or the Acara won't get big enough to eat them, but I'm not sure about an Oscar.

But like they said the barbs are fast and do swim in schools for a reason, so I think it would be worth a shot. They are definitely an awesome addition, especially if you get the color variations.

Tiger barbs are never going to harass any sort of cichlid you have mentioned previously, except for delicate species such as angels and discus. i can assure you they will not touch the fish you have mentioned. cant believe one of the replies to this thread was hinting at that? dont be crazy. the only situation where you would get tiger barbs harassing the likes of an oscar or firemouth is A) the oscar is very small and timid or B) the oscar is very unwell and not swimming properly. i can recommened tiger barbs with these large fish. however, over the course of time they will probably get picked off one by one. if any large cichlid has a chance to swallow a small fish it will. however, barbs wont present that chance very often as they are fast clever little fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back