Cichlids and small fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Phalloceros

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two species of cichlids in my tank.

firemouthcichlid (thorichthys meeki)
Jewel of Panama (amatitlania altoflava)

I have a breeding group of black bar endlers and dusky millions fish, can I combine these two? it is okay if fry gets eaten, but will the cichlids leave the adults alone?

I especially worry about the firemouthcichlid, but the amatitlania stay only a bit smaller, so I donā€™t know for sure.

I have X-ray tetras in with my firemouth and heā€™s been fine with them so far. Heā€™s not the most agro firemouth from what Iā€™ve heard.

I have X-ray tetras in with my firemouth and heā€™s been fine with them so far. Heā€™s not the most agro firemouth from what Iā€™ve heard.

ahh thatā€™s good to know! A x-ray tetra is quite a bit larger then endlers of course but it makes me a little hopeful.
Does anyone have experience with cichlids combined with smaller fish?

ahh thatā€™s good to know! A x-ray tetra is quite a bit larger then endlers of course but it makes me a little hopeful.
Does anyone have experience with cichlids combined with smaller fish?
I just checked the sizes, endlers say 1.8ā€ max and x-rays 1.6-1.9ā€ max. I wouldnā€™t say much larger? My largest x-ray is tops an inch, firemouth is pushing 2.5-3ā€.

How big are your firemouths and how big are your endlers ? 100% the fry would be doomed but as long as your endlers are 2inches Iā€™d say they would not be eaten

I just checked the sizes, endlers say 1.8ā€ max and x-rays 1.6-1.9ā€ max. I wouldnā€™t say much larger? My largest x-ray is tops an inch, firemouth is pushing 2.5-3ā€.
it's also a bit in the shape of the body that makes the difference i think. and a male endler will be about 1", female maybe 1,5" in my tank.

How big are your firemouths and how big are your endlers ? 100% the fry would be doomed but as long as your endlers are 2inches Iā€™d say they would not be eaten
okay i think the firemouths, won't work, but what about the amatitlania?

Most reactions

Back