Cichlids And Fry.. But Not Their Own.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mayu

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
now, I know that dwarf cichlids like my rams, will rear their fry and protect them into adult hood...

what about the fry of OTHER fish? The female molly in my main tank is ready to blow... and I was curious if (under the right conditions, such as, the Rams are finished with their antibacterial treatment)... could I place the fry in there to allow them to get bigger without being eaten, or would the rams look at molly fry as food?

I've had several sets of baby mollies and, by my experiances definately eat there own young.

James

I've had several sets of baby mollies and, by my experiances definately eat there own young.

James

I know Mollies eat their own young... but Rams do not... which is why I was curious.

thanks Minx... I kinda figured the mollies would probably get eaten. I'll just let them be for now then. There's plenty of hiding space so at least a few of them should survive if I leave well enough alone. (I had an extra tank for fry or sick fish, but it sprung a leak and my fixit skills made it worse.. so now I'm down the extra tank.)

I've never had Rams so i couldn't comment.

I figured the Rams were in the same tank as the female Mollies (and presumably other mollies)

So regardless of the Rams eating the fry, the Mollies would anyway. :drool:

James

I figured the Rams were in the same tank as the female Mollies (and presumably other mollies)

James

nope mollies and rams are in separate tanks.

The mollies are with my tetras, my betta has a tank to himself with the exception of Gary the snail and Gary's babies, both of which are in my living room... and then I have the cichlid tank in my bedroom with just Hachiko and Haruko.

James

nope mollies and rams are in separate tanks.

The mollies are with my tetras, my betta has a tank to himself with the exception of Gary the snail and Gary's babies, both of which are in my living room... and then I have the cichlid tank in my bedroom with just Hachiko and Haruko.
If you need a cheap fry tank, why not get one of those plastic crates with lid which are very cheap from Poundstretcher and DIY stores. Bought an 80litre crate for £8

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back