Cichlid

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jredouard25

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How officially big does a Bumblebee Cichlid get, and what size tank would it need along with diet , fish compatibly, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumblebee cichlid (Pseudotropheus crabro) can reach 6 inches long or maybe a bit more in a big tank.

They come from Lake Malawi in Africa and need hard alkaline water (GH above 350ppm and pH above 8.0).

They are pretty tough fish and should be kept with other fish from Lake Malawi (African Rift Lake cichlids).

Minimum size tank for adult fish would be 3foot long if you are keeping 1pr, or 4ft+ long if you have a Lake Malawi community tank.

They eat just about anything but should have some plant matter in their diet.

I agree with the above (Colin), though the profile on the cichlid forum puts the length of this fish at 8 inches, and warns it is very aggressive to conspecifics and other species. Not a community fish (except for a very large rift lake community tank).

I've had exactly one bubble bee cichlid and he was a harmless thing compared to my other mbuna. I ended up rehoming him though, I felt my 55gal, 4ft tank was not quite big enough for him. I believe he was around 5-6in when I traded him in and you was still a young boy.

Only keep this fish in a properly sized tank along with other Malawi cichlids, preferably equally aggressive mbuna. They should be eating more of a vegetarian diet so spirulina pellets are your best bet. I'd personally not keep them in anything less than a 75gal tank.

They are pretty big but less then a 75 gallon so like an 100 gallon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back