Cichlid tank-substrate and background?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Red15

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Forum!
So I'm interested in cichlids now and thinking of getting some labs and demasonis...some peacocks maybe. And I've found out that the substrate, lighting system and background seriously effect how your fish colours up.
I think I like the pictures of cichlid tank with that mysterious shadowy background and lights not so bright and fish popping with bold, stark colours.
My question is will black gravel be better for such colouration or should I use something like white or coral sand?
I'd used white sand before but around a month, I had it colour up brown, probably brown algae growing on them and the whole tank looked dirty. But then again, I read that black sand too loses colour? And I'm not really into that mixed colour substrate thing.
The tank I'm thinking of using already has a black background but it looks more blue than black. I suppose my RGB light has some kind of contribution in this...?
Apparently I'm also thinking of changing the light- please suggest which light would suit and give fish the colour, and tank the shadow so that the main focus remains only on those moving things.

Hi Forum!
So I'm interested in cichlids now and thinking of getting some labs and demasonis...some peacocks maybe. And I've found out that the substrate, lighting system and background seriously effect how your fish colours up.
I think I like the pictures of cichlid tank with that mysterious shadowy background and lights not so bright and fish popping with bold, stark colours.
My question is will black gravel be better for such colouration or should I use something like white or coral sand?
I'd used white sand before but around a month, I had it colour up brown, probably brown algae growing on them and the whole tank looked dirty. But then again, I read that black sand too loses colour? And I'm not really into that mixed colour substrate thing.
The tank I'm thinking of using already has a black background but it looks more blue than black. I suppose my RGB light has some kind of contribution in this...?
Apparently I'm also thinking of changing the light- please suggest which light would suit and give fish the colour, and tank the shadow so that the main focus remains only on those moving things.
Iā€™ve attached a picture of my tank, I use black gravel and limestone rock + live plants

Attachments

• 062985E3-5E86-4D16-A995-D1E603FFD6DB.png
    062985E3-5E86-4D16-A995-D1E603FFD6DB.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 57
Iv never set up a rift lake tank but I do know that lake Malawi is almost half the size of Scotland and bigger than some seas so Iā€™d be drawing inspiration from some saltwater tanks also , personally Iā€™d use a light substrate itā€™s just more fitting with what iv seen and hard scape heavy lots of rocks . African tanks arenā€™t really my thing so that might be a little generic of a set up

I used dark gravel, as fish do adjust to surroundings. If you have a clear glass top, you can experiment with light placement. I'd have the LED strip closer to the front if I kept Malawis now, but it's been a solid 20 years, back in the fluorescent era for me. I scaped with grey slate and had black gravel and an all important dark backing on the tank.

Every Cichlid region/species/group needs a different set up, but I had mbuna for years in that sort of tank. demasonis were a lot meaner than labs, and would probably push them around. Peacocks like a different tank set up, although most aquarists don't pay attention to that.

Still consider myself a novice, only 5 years keeping "Wet Pets".
Started keeping "Africans" a few years back. Did my research and received quite a bit of good advise.
Dark substrate (Mix of African cichlid sand -helped maintain higher pH and Black diamond sand)
Dark Background
Rock scape with plenty of hiding spots (Limestone)
Low intensity lighting (I use Fluval aquasky at 50%)
Tried plants but.. they were always uprooted or nibbled on
Here is a pic...
African 55 71121.jpg

Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back