Cichlid Tank Set Up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

communityfluvalroma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks to advice from members of this forum and poor planning and research from me, I have changed my plans for my aquarium. This is purely down to the hardness of my water and I don't want to limit myself to livebearers.

My tank is a 240l Fluval Roma. Below is a picture of the tank as it currently stands.

I would rather make these changes now, while my tank is fishless. Rather than further down the line, which could possibly cause me a lot more expense and heartache with the loss of fish.

I know that i will have to make changes to the current set up to suit Cichlids. From my own research, I would need to start with changing the substrate to sand only. Is this correct?

Can I have live plants with Cichlids?

Is it advised to add more rock to the aquarium?

Attachments

• 30th April 2020.jpg
    30th April 2020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
What is the pH and GH of the water?

You can have plants with small cichlids but most big cichlids dig and plants regularly get dug up.

pH 7.6 and GH 330ppm.

Your water is ideal for Lake Victorian, Lake Malawi, or captive bred Lake Tanganyika cichlids.

It's also suitable for most rainbowfish, which can be kept with peaceful Rift Lake cichlids.

pH 7.6 and GH 330ppm.

Your water is ideal for Lake Victorian, Lake Malawi, or captive bred Lake Tanganyika cichlids.

It's also suitable for most rainbowfish, which can be kept with peaceful Rift Lake cichlids.
Thanks Colin, just what I wanted to hear!

Regarding the substrate, is it recommended to change this to sand only or am I ok with keeping the black gravel?

Thanks Colin, just what I wanted to hear!

Regarding the substrate, is it recommended to change this to sand only or am I ok with keeping the black gravel?
I know there is some substrate that is specifically made for Cichlids, but that is only in the situation that your ph doesn’t match up. I say keep it.

A rainbow fish tank would be really cool. :good:

Use whatever you like. If you have small bottom dwelling cichlids they do better with sand, but most of the bigger fish will be fine with gravel or sand.

If you want the fish to show more colour, use a dark substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back