Cichlid tank Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
Reaction score
Im working on putting together a 40g shell dweller tank.

I have two questions:

1) How few can I get? Meaning, I plan on having them breed in the tank and eventually sell them so could i get 1 male 2 female? Or do I need more?

2) which foam do i put under the tank? the tank has a brace but i heard you still need foam to keep it from twisting?

For my tanks I went to Lowe’s and bought a pack of 6 48x12 inch foam boards for $10. You would have to use two, and trim it to get the 18” width for your tank.

I started my shell dweller colony with 1 male and 2 females. There are over 30 fish in the colony now, with the 3rd generation currently breeding. I trade my extra adults to my LFS for credit.
It does take about 6 months to get to a good stocking point (for a 30 gallon, at least) if you only start with 3, though.

You can start with 1pr (1 male & 1 female) or a colony. They naturally occur in colonies but you need enough space for colony breeding.

I started my shell dweller colony with 1 male and 2 females. There are over 30 fish in the colony now, with the 3rd generation currently breeding. I trade my extra adults to my LFS for credit.
It does take about 6 months to get to a good stocking point (for a 30 gallon, at least) if you only start with 3, though.
ok thats good to know

You can start with 1pr (1 male & 1 female) or a colony. They naturally occur in colonies but you need enough space for colony breeding.
i think ill go with 1 male 1 female sense the fish are sorta expensive. Can it be any male and any female or do they have to be already a pair? How many do you think I could have in a 40g breeder?

It is preferable to find a couple that have paired off alrady rather than trying to put any 2 fish together. If you buy a group of 6-10 (half males and half females) and put them together, they will pair off and choose their own partners.

If you're only getting 2 fish, try to find 2 they hang out together and preferably go into the same shell together.

I don't know how big a 40 gallon tank is. What are the dimensions (length x width x height)?

It is preferable to find a couple that have paired off alrady rather than trying to put any 2 fish together. If you buy a group of 6-10 (half males and half females) and put them together, they will pair off and choose their own partners.

If you're only getting 2 fish, try to find 2 they hang out together and preferably go into the same shell together.

I don't know how big a 40 gallon tank is. What are the dimensions (length x width x height)?
ok i try to find a good pair at the store.

A 40g breeder is 36" x 18" x 16"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back