Cichlid tank bottom feeders?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Seachells11

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 125 gallon cichlid tank with a green terror, golden severum, blood parrot, jewel, convict, and a terror/acara hybrid (surviving baby). Iā€™m looking for some bottom feeders to help clean up the tank a little bit, substrate, rocks, and glass. Weā€™ve tried three plecos so far and none survived. They were two royals and a gold nugget. We believe they died for reasons other than fish terrorizing them, they were actually mostly ignored. Not totally against plecos, but really looking for other options that could work that would survive with our territorial fish. What has worked for you? Any smaller fish in larger quantities? Any smaller (cheaper!) plecos like rubber lipped? Thanks for any input!

When my bristle nose pleco was young (He still is) he was very skittish and stays away from any potential threats.

When my bristle nose pleco was young (He still is) he was very skittish and stays away from any potential threats.
Iā€™ve thought about a bristlenose. They are quick, I just worry about them being too small in generalā€¦but what kind of cichlids do you have?

Cichlids tend to hang around the bottom of the tank and don't like things in their space. So catfish are not a good idea.

I have kept a group of bronze corys in my cichlid tank for over a year I also have a green terror , Severum and acara in there , my corys even breed they are no threat to the cichlids and donā€™t compete for food they donā€™t even exist in the eyes of the cichlids, Easy choice for me

I have coryā€™s in with my blood parrot, as well as a clown pleco. Bristlenose with my firemouth, and polar blue in one tank, as well as a bristlenose with a male polar blue and juvi texas in another tank, an a bristlenose with my German blue ram. Oh, and a sailfin pleco with my flowerhorn.
So bristlenose is my go to. They seem to be just fine with most south/central cichlids. Which, would seem to make sense since they are technically from the same areas.

That is really good for you guys, so when it turns to custard you will then be able to advise what to do next. šŸ‘

That is really good for you guys, so when it turns to custard you will then be able to advise what to do next. šŸ‘
as with most aggressive/territorial fish, always have a plan b in case of them not getting along. I was just telling op what I have successfully kept with my new world cichlids.

as with most aggressive/territorial fish, always have a plan b in case of them not getting along. I was just telling op what I have successfully kept with my new world cichlids.
So what is the plan B, out of interest. Just so the OP knows

So what is the plan B, out of interest. Just so the OP knows
For me it was get a separate tank, or rehome the trouble makers. Everyone is different and has different experience. As well as every fish has a different temperament. Most New world cichlids focus their aggressive behavior towards their cichlid tank mates, in my experience. Of course if you get into breeding you open a whole new can of worms.

I will agree Corys with the mix that the op has is probably not a good idea. As the corys are quite small and would probably end up a meal. Which is why I lean more towards a bristlenose.

I have the same fish as the op with a large group of corys in the same tank with no aggression , why would a 7 inch Severum and green terror bother competing for food with a 2 inch Cory they donā€™t even eat the same food itā€™s much more concentrated on the other cichlids in the tank , does my pleco show aggression to the corys ... yes do my cichlids... no

My Blood Parrot picked the Cories to death. He simply harassed them as much as he possibly could. He couldn't eat them. He just picked at them and chased them..

They ended up mostly hiding and never coming out to eat. I would drop food near them and they would eat a bit that way - but they never thrived and slowly they all died from stress/starvation. I never got any more.

Hello! I have a 125 gallon cichlid tank with a green terror, golden severum, blood parrot, jewel, convict, and a terror/acara hybrid (surviving baby). Iā€™m looking for some bottom feeders to help clean up the tank a little bit, substrate, rocks, and glass. Weā€™ve tried three plecos so far and none survived. They were two royals and a gold nugget. We believe they died for reasons other than fish terrorizing them, they were actually mostly ignored. Not totally against plecos, but really looking for other options that could work that would survive with our territorial fish. What has worked for you? Any smaller fish in larger quantities? Any smaller (cheaper!) plecos like rubber lipped? Thanks for any input!
I have one big 6 inch long catfish, synodontis eupterus, & five pico cats with my 14 cichlids. I bought the tank & fish from Craigslist.
hereā€™s my big cat, Tom. They are in a 90 G tank with a 20 G sump.
79CE2D5E-3648-4537-ACDF-6E08CBEC9274.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back