Cichlid(s) for 55 gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TetraMan2007

Reaction score
Hello. I have a ten gallon as of now but am wanting to upgrade to a 55 gallon that I have in my basement. Anyway, I now I want American cichlids. I was thinking of either getting 4 Angelfish and 4 German rams, or I wanted to get a predatory Cichlid. I want to compare the two, but don’t have any idea for a predatory Cichlid. Any ideas?

I can answer part of your post, and other members with direct experience of some of the Central American cichlids can supply more on the "predatory cichlid" aspect.

Angelfish. This is a shoaling fish, so a group must contain no fewer than five, and a few more would be preferable. However, that isn't possible in a 55g 4-foot tank, so five or maybe six would be it. But this is only the beginning of the tale. Within such a group, male and female will likely be present. That means a pair may form, and at that point, either the pair or the other three/four angelfish may have to go elsewhere. Obviously another pair might from from the remaining fish...and so forth. The other thing is that angelfish must select their respective mates and bond; if not, the "pair" may soon file for divorce, and that can be disastrous in such a small tank. The only exception to a group with this species is a bonded pair; the two having selected each other. Some consider one angelfish, but I am not someone who agrees with maintaining a fish contrary to its expectations. Inhumane treatment to a fish is still what it is.

Rams. The German Ram is a developed variety of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and this fish too must select its mate. With sufficient aquascaping to break up the area in the 4-foot tank you could have more than a bonded pair, but in that case a larger group might be preferable. Finding tankmates for this species can be tricky, because it must have warmth. A temperature of 80F (27C) is minimum, and up around 82-86F/28-30C is better for long-term health. Not every "tropical" fish can manage with that on a permanent basis.

The most common predatory cichlid from central/ South America is the Oscar, which grows to about 12 inches long. They are reasonably peaceful but will eat small fish.

Other big cichlids include Cichlasoma dovii, managuense but these get bigger than Oscars and are much more aggressive. The texas cichlid is a bit more peaceful and grows to a similar size as the Oscar.

There are other cichlids that don't grow as big and can be kept. Geophagus brasiliensis, G. surinamensis and Acarichthys heckelii. Blue acaras, firemouth cichlids, Cichlasoma spilurum, etc. These are all quite peaceful but grow to 5-6 inches and you could have a pair or a couple of individuals in the tank.

And do fire mouth cichlids have a good personality like a Oscar or Betta? That is why I would want them. Also, can fire mouths live with blood parrots and/or convict cichlids?

You can't sex young angelfish and the best thing to do is buy a group of 6-10 young fish and grow them up together.

Angelfish will live in water with a temperature between 20-32C, and the preferred temperature is between 24-28C.

------------
Firemouth, convict and other types of smaller central/ South American cichlids don't have the same personality as the bigger cichlids like Oscars, but many will recognise their owners and expect food.

In a big enough tank they should be fine with a blood parrot cichlid, however blood parrot cichlids are not a good quality fish. They are a man made mutant that can have health issues.

I am aware of them being a hybrid but was wondering if maybe I could keep them with fire mouth cichlids. If not, could I keep 3 in a 55 gallon? I think that the blood parrots are kinda cute.

I wouldn't keep 3 blood parrot cichlids in a 55 gallon tank unless they were all female. If you have 2 males they will probably start to fight over territories.

You could probably get 1 blood parrot cichlid and have it with a firemouth and a couple of other peaceful cichlids. Get them young and the same size and let them grow up together.

I had a bonded pair of Angelfish I was lucky enough to be given one grew to 6 inches and the other almost 5 inch (body) in my 55 gallon tank . Beautiful fish but when they were big I think I would have wanted a much bigger tank if I had started out with 5 or more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back