Cichlid problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have an Malawi cichlid tank (Juwel Rio 180 litres).  In it I have a bristlenose (Sam), 3 featherfins, 3 electric yellows, 3 aulonocara marbles and 1  pseudotropheus elongatus (with a few julidochromis transcriptus fry - long story for another post).  Bloo - the elongatus is extremely aggresive to all the other inmates.  He had a mate, Lulu, but she's "disappeared" - no sign of her anywhere - I've checked all the caves and hidey holes and can't find her or any remains of her.  My question is do I get him another female or even two, and hope that it will calm him down, or leave him single to live a celibate life. Will introducing females calm him down or will he get more aggresive?

Argh It could go either ways since I've little experance with them I'll leave it for the other members that keep Africans ;)

Hi gadazobe,
First... have you checked the floor around the tank? Do you have an outside filter (HOB)? Check these and if she is stll AWOL then it's a good bet she became a midnight snack. Ps. elongatus are notorious wife beaters and bullies to all other inhabitants in the tank as well. IMHO you should leave him to a life of celibicy. If you decide to give him another chance... 3-4 feamles is the way to go. With this many females he has an opportunity to spread out his aggression and not key on any one female in particular. Also by having a group of females the odds are one should be ready to spawn at any given time giving the male a outlet for his affections.

Be watchful also as he may try to breed with any female electric yellows you have. I have had Pseudotropheus cross breed with Labidochromis in the past.

The truth is he was probably ready to breed and she wasn't...that really P'Os a male.

HTH

Larry

Hi Cichlid, Males is males is males whatever the species :D That's it, I'm going to shave his head and turn him into a monk :laugh: No more females for him. I haven't got an outside filter and if I could move the tank to find out if she's behind all dried up, then I'd be able to clean behind it for once :grin: - BTW, welcome to the clan - where you from?

Just to let you know - I can't read :( I've just noticed that you're from the good ol US of A :)

Hi Gad,
I hail From Detroit, Michigan in the good ol' US of A. I hear ya bout cleaning behind tanks :laugh:  :laugh: .

I guess I'm a bit slow on the keyboard. Just scrolled down and saw your last post.

Anyway thanks for the welcome and I hope to make a huge "PEST" of myself here. ;)

Larry

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back