Cichlid lost her eggs???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This morning my son and I watched the amazing dance of my female and male peacock cichlid laying eggs. The male shook over them and the female would scoop them up. Her mouth was full. I checked back on her a couple hours later and her mouth is empty. No more neck bulge. What happened?! Iā€™m so sad and even more so my son is so sad about it. Any ideas? I do have another female holding and I was going to let nature take its course but should I strip her of the eggs?

She probably swallowed them, which happens with new mothers and with fish that have been reared artificially after people strip the eggs from the mother.

In order for cichlids to make good parents, they need to be reared by their parents and not taken from the parents as eggs.

She probably swallowed them, which happens with new mothers and with fish that have been reared artificially after people strip the eggs from the mother.

In order for cichlids to make good parents, they need to be reared by their parents and not taken from the parents as eggs.
Oh thatā€™s awful. So I guess I should just let my other female hold hers. Should I put her in a breeder box? I read that some fish will go after the eggs which makes the mom drop them or swallow them accidentally. I would like some fry of my own and then get rid of some the peacocks that are females. Ultimately I want an all male tank now that Iā€™m understanding more about the cichlid breed and if I want a vibrant colored tank. But I ended up with at least 4 females that I know of at this point.
My original plan was to let nature takes it course and let the mother have the fry in the main tank and see if they survive. I donā€™t know whatā€™s more traumatizing. Stripping her of her eggs or taking her fry so they can grow in another tank or just leave her and the fry in the main tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back